1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate the efficiency of the electric motor.

1. Dec 2, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An 8.5 X 10^3 kg elevator is pulled up at a constant velocity of 1m/s by a 10kW electric motor.
    Calculate the efficiency of the electric motor.

2. Relevant equations
    P=w/t
    %efficiency=work out/work in X 100%
    W=mgh
    d=vit+1/2at^2
    v=d/t

3. The attempt at a solution
    The answer in the book is 83%, but I don't understand how they got that answer. Please help.

In the meantime, this is how far I got (not too far):

vi=1m/s
    m=8.5X10^3kg
    vf=0

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2009 #2
    The work done can be expressed in gravitational terms: mass * g * height. The work in can be calculated by power * time. Height can be found with velocity * time.

mass * g * velocity * time / (power * time) * 100 = mass * g * velocity / power * 100
    8.5X10^3kg * 9.81 * 1 m/s / ( 10000 W) * 100 = 833%. It's off by a multiple of ten, so you gave the wrong initial values, the book published a faulty question, or (i sure hope this isn't it) i'm partly wrong. I hope this helps.

4. Dec 4, 2009 #3
    Is the time 1 second? Is the height 1 metre? Yes, I got the mass wrong, it was suppossed to be to the power of 2 not to the power of 3.
    How do I know whether to use power out/power in vs. work out/work in? Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook