Calculate the exit force of a bullet leaving the barrel

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 1K views
JJ_Badoo
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
TL;DR
Hello, I am doing a project in which I have a bullet and it is being fired from a barrel.
So, Basic premise is I have 1 input and one output, Energy friom the gunpower burning is input, and the output is the force which pushes the bullet after it is reduced by the friction.

m = 12.96 g
s = 0.6985 m (barrel lenght)
E = 6734 J
k = 0.5 (friction coeffcient)

I am sorry for lack of anything really. I don't even know how to start, I could solve the exercise normally but them shifting it over to MATLAB parameters is the most difficult thing for me...
Thank you.

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/245431
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello JJ, ##\qquad## :welcome: ##\qquad## !

For the friction force you write ##-kx##. Where does that come from ? What would it mean for the energy lost to friction ?

JJ_Badoo said:
I am sorry for lack of anything really. I don't even know how to start
Not good enough for PF -- see guidelines
I could solve the exercise normally
Please do solve, and post what you have, including thte relevant equations ...
 
JJ_Badoo said:
I don't even know how to start

Do some reading on interior ballistics. Hatcher's Notebook, by Julian S. Hatcher, has some good information on the energy budget, including friction.