1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate the flux through a cube of size 1.0 m

1. Feb 3, 2013 #1
    An E field exists in a region of space and it can be described by:
    [tex] \bar{E} = \hat{i}xy^2 [/tex]

Calculate the flux through a cube of size 1.0m, with one end extending into the positive x,y and z directions.

Find the charge enclosed.

I have no idea how to start this? can someone point me in the right direction please?

I know that:
    [tex] \Phi = EA [/tex]

But what does it mean that the E field exists in a region of space?

All help is appreciated.

And im not looking for a solution, but all help will be appreciated.

Cheers

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2013 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

This applies only if ##\vec E## has the same magnitude everywhere on the surface, and is perpendicular to the surface everywhere. If these are not true, you have to integrate:

$$\Phi = \int {\vec E \cdot \hat n da}$$

Does this ring a bell?

4. Feb 3, 2013 #3
    Sorry, not really.
    What values do I put in for for [itex]\hat{i}[/itex]?
    And what's the [itex]\hat{n}[/itex]? And do I pull E out of the integration as a constant? Then integrate da just to a?
    I'm sorry, I just got into this class two weeks late, and this is due tomorrow. But I'm gonna spend this week catching up.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2013
  5. Feb 4, 2013 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You really just need to sit down with your textbook and learn the basics. After all, if you don't even understand what the notation means, how can you expect to solve the problem? The examples in your textbook should answer most of your questions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook