1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate the force on the other support

Tags:
  1. Nov 28, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A uniform thin rod of weight 100 N is supported horizontally by two bricks at its
    ends. At t=0 one of these bricks is kicked out quickly. Calculate the force on the
    other support immediately thereafter.

2. Relevant equations
    I'm not sure if I am on the right track with this equation since I don't have the length and from what I know, I need the length for torque problems: Mg(L/2)sin(theta)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I thought since each brick has a force of 50N that if one brick is locked the force on the supporting brick is -50N since it's a downward force. Please help me with the equation and how to go about it. Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2014 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Follow that through and see what happens. Maybe the length will not feature in the answer.
    (From dimensional analysis, you can predict that it won't. Given an acceleration (g) a mass and a length as input, and a force to be the result of multiplying and dividing these and raising them to powers, the only combination that works is acceleration * mass * constant.)

4. Nov 30, 2014 #3
    So what would my constant be? My weight would be 50N since it's for one brick, and my acceleration is 9.81m/s. I'm confused about the constant.

5. Nov 30, 2014 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You need to determine that by working through the usual equations.
    Create unknowns for mass, length, angular acceleration and write out the standard equations for linear acceleration versus force and angular acceleration versus torque.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted