1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate the Fourier Transform

1. Jan 2, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

calculate the Fourier Transform of the following function:

2. Relevant equations

x(t) = e-|t| cos(2t)

3. The attempt at a solution

0-∞ et ((e2jt + e-2jt) / 2) e-jωt + ∫0 e-t ((e2jt + e-2jt) / 2) e-jωt

The first integral is easy to calculate and equals: (1/2) * (1/(1+(2-ω)j) + 1/(1+(-2-ω)j))
    But how about the second integral?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 2, 2012 #2

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You did the first integral OK. Why do you think the second integral is harder than the first one?

But if you sketch a graph of x(t), you might notice something interesting that saves you some work...

4. Jan 2, 2012 #3
    My problem is with the infinite boundaries. The first integral is simple since is done from -∞ to 0 and it makes the limit of exponential part will be zero But I am confused about the second one since its boundaries are from 0 to ∞ and I can get it how the limit of exponential part of this function will be zero too!

I sketched the graph. Do you mean that the function is asymmetric? so the doing the integration for one side will be equal to the another?

5. Jan 2, 2012 #4

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The real part of the second integral is [itex]e^{-t}[/itex] which goes to 0 as t goes to [itex]+\infty[/itex]. That is similar to the first integral, where [itex]e^{+t}[/itex] goes to 0 as t goes to [itex]-\infty[/itex].

It would be better to call it "an even function" not "asymmetric", but you got the point that the two integrals are equal.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook