1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate the impulse exerted after an inelastic collision

1. Jul 17, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A block A of mass m travelling with speed v collides head-on with a stationary body B of mass 2m. The two bodies stick together. Calculate the impulse exerted by body B on body A during the collision.

2. Relevant equations
    ## J = p_{final} - p_{initial} ##
    ## p_{initial} = p_{final} ##

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am not sure if this is correct. First I considered the system of the two blocks to calculate v':
    mv + 0 = 3mv' -> v' = v/3

Then I calculated the initial and final momentum of block B on A using v' for final velocity:
    ## p_f - p_i = 2mv/3 - 0 = 2mv/3 ##

But I don't feel confident in the answer.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2016 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Newton's third law of motion implies that the blocks should experience "equal but opposite" impulses during the collision. How does the impulse delivered to A compare to the impulse delivered to B in your solution?

Does that boost confidence?

4. Jul 17, 2016 #3
    It's -2mv/3, so it appears to be consistent. Thank you. Physics induces a great deal of uncertainty in me!

5. Jul 17, 2016 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You're not alone. (I think Heisenberg said something similar.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted