Calculate the impulse exerted after an inelastic collision

In summary: I'm sorry, I cannot provide a summary for a conversation that does not pertain to the original prompt."
marsupial

Homework Statement

A block A of mass m traveling with speed v collides head-on with a stationary body B of mass 2m. The two bodies stick together. Calculate the impulse exerted by body B on body A during the collision.

Homework Equations

## J = p_{final} - p_{initial} ##
## p_{initial} = p_{final} ##

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure if this is correct. First I considered the system of the two blocks to calculate v':
mv + 0 = 3mv' -> v' = v/3

Then I calculated the initial and final momentum of block B on A using v' for final velocity:
## p_f - p_i = 2mv/3 - 0 = 2mv/3 ##

But I don't feel confident in the answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
marsupial said:
But I don't feel confident in the answer.
Newton's third law of motion implies that the blocks should experience "equal but opposite" impulses during the collision. How does the impulse delivered to A compare to the impulse delivered to B in your solution?

Does that boost confidence?

Likes marsupial
It's -2mv/3, so it appears to be consistent. Thank you. Physics induces a great deal of uncertainty in me!

marsupial said:
Physics induces a great deal of uncertainty in me!
You're not alone. (I think Heisenberg said something similar.)

Likes Vibhor

1. What is the formula for calculating impulse in an inelastic collision?

The formula for calculating impulse in an inelastic collision is Impulse = m * (v2 - v1), where m is the mass of the object and v2 and v1 are the final and initial velocities, respectively.

2. How is impulse different from force?

Impulse is the change in an object's momentum over time, while force is the push or pull on an object that causes it to accelerate. In other words, impulse is the result of a force acting on an object for a specific amount of time.

3. Can you explain the concept of an inelastic collision?

An inelastic collision is a type of collision in which kinetic energy is lost during the collision. This means that the final velocity of the objects involved is lower than the initial velocity, and the objects stick together after the collision.

4. How does the mass of the objects affect the impulse in an inelastic collision?

The mass of the objects directly affects the impulse in an inelastic collision. The greater the mass, the greater the impulse will be. This is because a greater mass requires more force to change its velocity.

5. What are some real-life examples of inelastic collisions?

Some real-life examples of inelastic collisions include car accidents, where the cars stick together after the collision, and a person catching a ball, where the person's hand and the ball stick together after the impact.