Calculate the magnitude of the induced EMF in the loop

In summary: I think the current would be CCW (counterclockwise) viewed from above.In summary, a square conducting loop in a uniform magnetic field that is decreasing at a rate of 0.070 T/s will experience an induced EMF with a magnitude of 0.28 T*m^2/s. The induced current in the loop will be counterclockwise, viewed from above, in order to conserve the magnetic field.
Shinwasha

Homework Statement

A square conducting loop lies in the xy plane of an xyz coordinate system. The loop is in a uniform magnetic field that points in the positive z direction and is decreasing at a rate of 0.070 T/s. What are (a) the magnitude of the induced EMF in the loop and (b) the direction of the induced current?

Homework Equations

Ɛ = ∆Φ / ∆t
∆Φ = A∆B

The Attempt at a Solution

Area = .04m^2
∆Φ = .04m^2 * 0.070 T/s = .028 T*m^2/s

I'm thinking the ∆t is going to be 1 second since no other time interval was given. Therefore Ɛ = ∆Φ / ∆t = .028/1 = .028 T*m^2

As for (b) since the magnetic force is decreasing the current is going to increase in order to conserve the magnetic field. Therefore the induced magnetic field will be in the positive z direction. Therefore the current turns in CCW

Physics news on Phys.org
Shinwasha said:

Homework Statement

A square conducting loop lies in the xy plane of an xyz coordinate system. The loop is in a uniform magnetic field that points in the positive z direction and is decreasing at a rate of 0.070 T/s. What are (a) the magnitude of the induced EMF in the loop and (b) the direction of the induced current?

Homework Equations

Ɛ = ∆Φ / ∆t
∆Φ = A∆B

The Attempt at a Solution

Area = .04m^2
∆Φ = .04m^2 * 0.070 T/s = .028 T*m^2/s
I think you're off by an order of magnitude, in that I think you missed a zero in your calculations somewhere.

More on your treatment of [itex] \Delta \Phi [/itex] below.
I'm thinking the ∆t is going to be 1 second since no other time interval was given.
There's really no need to make such an assumption. 0.070 T/s is already the rate of change of the field. It has the [itex] \Delta t [/itex] included in it already. -0.070 T/s = [itex] \frac{\Delta B}{ \Delta t} [/itex].

Therefore Ɛ = ∆Φ / ∆t = .028/1 = .028 T*m^2
Missing a zero as was mentioned (see above). [Edit: and as discussed above, there is no need to make assumptions about [itex] \Delta t [/itex] being a specific value such as 1 second -- it's already built into the existing units.]

As for (b) since the magnetic force is decreasing the current is going to increase in order to conserve the magnetic field. Therefore the induced magnetic field will be in the positive z direction. Therefore the current turns in CCW

I think you are correct on this part. Although if you mention CW or CCW you may wish to specify whether it's viewed from above or below to avoid ambiguity.

Last edited:

What is induced EMF?

Induced EMF, or electromotive force, is the voltage generated in a conductor when it moves through a magnetic field or when the magnetic field changes around it.

How is the magnitude of induced EMF calculated?

The magnitude of induced EMF in a loop can be calculated using the formula E = -N * ΔΦ/Δt, where E is the induced EMF, N is the number of turns in the loop, and ΔΦ/Δt is the rate of change of magnetic flux through the loop.

What factors affect the magnitude of induced EMF?

The magnitude of induced EMF is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the velocity of the conductor, the angle between the magnetic field and the conductor, and the number of turns in the loop.

Why is it important to calculate the magnitude of induced EMF?

Calculating the magnitude of induced EMF is important because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of electrical systems, such as generators and motors, which rely on induced EMF to function.

What are some practical applications of induced EMF?

Induced EMF has various practical applications, including power generation in generators, electrical motors, and transformers. It is also used in technologies such as wireless charging and electromagnetic braking systems.