1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate the mass of the disk?

1. Jun 9, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The moment of inertia of the disk-clay system about the central axis of the disk is I = 1.5 kg m2
    Disk's mass = M
    The clay's mass = 0.12 kg
    Calculate the mass of the disk?

2. Relevant equations
    I = m r^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    I thought that the moment of inertia may just be the sum of the individual moment of inertia's of the two objects. I know that I for a disk is equal to 1/4 MR^2, but I do not know the one for the clay.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2016 #2

billy_joule

Science Advisor

Correct.

You sure you've interpreted the axis correctly?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_moments_of_inertia

Was there a diagram? As it is, we don't know r disk or rclay so can't find mclay.

4. Jun 9, 2016 #3
    Yes. The diagram showed a piece of clay is sitting at the rim of the disk and not sliding on the disk.

5. Jun 9, 2016 #4

billy_joule

Science Advisor

Post the diagram and the entire question statement word for word, without it we're just guessing/relying on your interpretation.

6. Jun 9, 2016 #5
    upload_2016-6-9_1-36-57.png

A horizontal uniform disk with a mass M and a radius R=1.5m is free to rotate about its central axis perpendicular to the disk’s flat surface. A piece of clay with a mass m=0.12kg is sitting at the rim of the disk and does not slide on the disk. The moment of inertia of the disk-clay system about the central axis of the disk is I=1.5kgm2.At time t=0s, a constant external force, F, is applied tangentially at the rim of the disk causing the disk-clay system, initially at rest, to start rotating with a constant angular acceleration ofα=0.25rad/s2.

7. Jun 9, 2016 #6

billy_joule

Science Advisor

There's doesn't appear to be a question?
    Can you follow the link in post #2 and identify the relevant MOI equations for the disk and clay?

8. Jun 9, 2016 #7

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Note that part of the axis specification.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted