Calculate the Masses of two binary stars

In summary, the problem asks to calculate the masses of Sirius A and B, given an orbital period of 50 years and a semi-major axis of 20 AU in the Sirius Binary system. The equation given is M+m = 4 Pi^2 a^3 / GP^2. The attempted solution provided converts all units to SI units and uses the equation to find an answer in kg. However, the problem asks for an answer in solar masses, which can be obtained by using the dimensional consideration (M+m) / Msun = (a/AU)^3/(P/yr)^2 and plugging in the given values to get a final answer of approximately 3.2 solar masses.
victoriafello

Homework Statement

I am trying to understand the following example question in my course book, The answer is actually given but i don't understand how they got to it, i would like someone to give me an idea how this has been worked out

In the Sirius Binary system the orbital period is 50 years and the semi major axis of the relative orbit is 20AU. Calculate the masses of sirius A and B expressing your answer in solar masses

Homework Equations

M+m = 4 Pi^2 a^3 / GP^2

The Attempt at a Solution

M+m = 4Pi^2 (20 x 1.50 x 10^11 m) ^3 / (6.67 x 10 ^-11 N m^2 Kg^-1) x (50 x 3.16 x 10^7 s) ^2

I really don't understand as i thought from the equation that it would be 4 Pi^2 x 20^3 / 6.67 x 10^-11 x 50 ^2

What am i missing ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi victoriafello ! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(have a pi: π and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
victoriafello said:
M+m = 4 Pi^2 a^3 / GP^2

The Attempt at a Solution

M+m = 4Pi^2 (20 x 1.50 x 10^11 m) ^3 / (6.67 x 10 ^-11 N m^2 Kg^-1) x (50 x 3.16 x 10^7 s) ^2

I really don't understand as i thought from the equation that it would be 4 Pi^2 x 20^3 / 6.67 x 10^-11 x 50 ^2

hmm … they seem to have converted everything to SI units …

AU to m, and year to s …

which gives them an answer in kg.

But the problem asks for an answer in solar masses, so you should be able to use AU and year, and get the answer from the given equation just by dimensional considerations (and without using G) :confused:

Thanks, I thought that if the units were in AU and Yrs then i could use the equation in the form

(M+m) / Msun = (a/AU)^3/(P/yr)^2

So this would make the equation

20^3/50^2 = 3.2

Is this correct ? I am still a bit unsure about the first part of the equation is this answer now in solar masses or so i need to convert ?

victoriafello said:
Thanks, I thought that if the units were in AU and Yrs then i could use the equation in the form

(M+m) / Msun = (a/AU)^3/(P/yr)^2

So this would make the equation

20^3/50^2 = 3.2

Is this correct ? I am still a bit unsure about the first part of the equation is this answer now in solar masses or so i need to convert ?

Yes, that looks right to me …

mass is proportional to axis cubed and inversely proportional to period squared, so the result is a multiple of the mass of the Sun+Earth, in other words in solar masses :smile:

What is the purpose of calculating the masses of two binary stars?

The purpose of calculating the masses of two binary stars is to understand the dynamics of the system and gain insight into the formation and evolution of the stars. This information can also be used to study the properties of the stars, such as their composition and age.

How do scientists determine the masses of binary stars?

Scientists use the orbital parameters of the stars, such as their period and separation, to calculate their masses. They also take into account the gravitational force between the stars and the effect of other objects in the system, such as planets or other stars.

Can the masses of binary stars change over time?

Yes, the masses of binary stars can change over time due to mass transfer between the stars, interactions with other objects in the system, and nuclear fusion reactions within the stars. These changes can affect the orbital dynamics and overall evolution of the system.

What is the significance of accurately calculating the masses of binary stars?

Accurately calculating the masses of binary stars is crucial for understanding the evolution of the stars and their interactions with other objects in the system. It can also provide valuable data for testing and improving theories about stellar formation and evolution.

Are there any challenges or limitations to calculating the masses of binary stars?

There are several challenges and limitations to calculating the masses of binary stars, such as the complexity of the system, observational errors, and the presence of other objects that can affect the orbital dynamics. Additionally, some binary stars may have very long orbital periods, making it difficult to accurately measure their properties.