Calculate the net force acting on the object in the diagram

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
roguekiller93
Messages
4
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Calculate the net force in Diagram B.

Homework Equations


Sine Law: sin a/a = sin b/b = sin c/ c
Cosine Law: c^2 = a^2 + b^2 -2ab*cos(c)

The Attempt at a Solution


c^2 = (2N)^2 + (17)^2 -2(2)(17)*cos(45)
= 16 N
sin b/ 17N = sin45/16N
= 49 degrees

Fnet = 16 N (W 49 degrees N)

I am really confused with this unit. I don't know if I did it right, but I would appreciate feedback on where and how i went wrong.[/B]
diagrams-png.59601.png
 
Physics news on Phys.org
roguekiller93 said:

Homework Statement


Calculate the net force in Diagram B.

Homework Equations


Sine Law: sin a/a = sin b/b = sin c/ c
Cosine Law: c^2 = a^2 + b^2 -2ab*cos(c)

The Attempt at a Solution


c^2 = (2N)^2 + (17)^2 -2(2)(17)*cos(45)
= 16 N
sin b/ 17N = sin45/16N
= 49 degrees

Fnet = 16 N (W 49 degrees N)

I am really confused with this unit. I don't know if I did it right, but I would appreciate feedback on where and how i went wrong.[/B]
diagrams-png.59601.png
A simpler way to find the net force of two or more vectors is to decompose each vector into its x and y components. Once that is done, the individual x and y components are added together algebraically, and the sum of these components gives you the component of the net force, or the resultant.

In b) above, the 8 N force has components of (0, 8) while the 10 N force has components (0, -10). The 17.0 N force can be converted to its components by completing the 45° triangle shown. Remember, a horizontal component pointing East is positive.