Calculate the neutrino flux from the sun

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 13K views
warfreak131
Messages
186
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Every reaction in the sun has the energy equivalent to 0.03 mp, and generates 2 neutrinos per reaction. Calculate the number of neutrinos per second, and calculate the neutrino flux at Earth.

Astronomy generally uses the CGS (centimeter gram second) system, so just be aware of that when I do my calculations.

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



nreactions * Ereaction = Luminositysun

nreactions * mc2 = Luminositysun

nreactions * (.03 * mp)(3*1010)2 = Luminositysun

nreactions * (.03 * 1.67*10-24)(3*1010)2 = Luminositysun

nreactions * (.03 * 1.67*10-24)(3*1010)2 = 3.9*1033

nreactions * 4.51*10-5 erg = 3.9*1033 erg s-1

nreactions = 3.9*1033 erg s-1 / 4.51*10-5 erg

nreactions = 8.67*1037 reactions/s

nreactions / s * 2 neutrinos / reaction = 1.73*1038 neutrinos

Nneutrinos / Area = Fneutrino

Area = 4*pi*R2 [R = 1 AU = 1.5*1013cm]

Area = 2.83*1027cm2

So divide Nneutrinos and Area, and I get 6.1*1010 neutrinos/cm2

I looked online, and found answers which were also approx 6, but were a different order of magnitude. Did I do anything wrong?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
ideasrule said:
That link gives 6.296541*10^14 /(m^2*s). Your answer is in /(cm^2*s).
right right, right you are, thanks