Calculate the pitch of eletron cyclotron in b field.

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 8K views
jhwatts
Messages
5
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



The uniform 26.0 mT magnetic field in the figure points in the positive z-direction. An electron enters the region of magnetic field with a speed of 5.50E6 and at an angle of
30 deg. above the xy-plane.

The problem defines the pitch to be the distance between the sucessive loops of the helix.

radius = 1.04 mm


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



I thought i could slove for the pitch by solving p= r*tan(30), i don't know, i have no experience solving this kind of problem.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you will get more response in the physics section than in the mathematics section so I am moving this post.
 
The electron is moving with constant speed allong the z-direction. Do you know why?
Between two sucessive loops the time is one period. Thus the pitch is the distance traveled by the electron in one period at z-direction.

Can you calculated it, now?