1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate the pitch of eletron cyclotron in b field.

1. Feb 17, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The uniform 26.0 mT magnetic field in the figure points in the positive z-direction. An electron enters the region of magnetic field with a speed of 5.50E6 and at an angle of
    30 deg. above the xy-plane.

The problem defines the pitch to be the distance between the sucessive loops of the helix.

radius = 1.04 mm

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I thought i could slove for the pitch by solving p= r*tan(30), i dont know, i have no experience solving this kind of problem.
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I think you will get more response in the physics section than in the mathematics section so I am moving this post.
  4. Feb 18, 2008 #3
    The electron is moving with constant speed allong the z-direction. Do you know why?
    Between two sucessive loops the time is one period. Thus the pitch is the distance traveled by the electron in one period at z-direction.

Can you calculated it, now?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?