Calculate the power delivered to each resistor

In summary, Kirchhoff's Rules apply to loops with multiple currents, and the point rule can be used to find the power delivered to a resistor in a loop with multiple currents.
bodkin.thomas

Homework Statement

Here is the accompanying diagram.

Calculate the power delivered to each of the resistors in Figure P28.28 (E = 55 V, R = 5.0 .)

1. ____W (2.0 resistor in loop with 55 V source.)
  2. ____W (5.0 resistor in loop with 55 V source.)
  3. ____W (5.0 resistor in loop with 20 V source.)
  4. ____W (2.0 resistor in loop with 20 V source.)

Homework Equations

Kirchhoff's Rules
ƩIenter - Ʃleave = 0

ƩEmf - ƩIR = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9172399/Pictures/001.jpg I basically broke the problem into the six loops and wrote equations based on the loop rule. I've never encountered anything near as complex as this, so I'm at a loss of what to do...

How does the point rule work in this case with so many currents? Did I draw the currents in the right direction? I haven't the slightest idea...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
bodkin.thomas said:

Homework Statement

Here is the accompanying diagram.

Calculate the power delivered to each of the resistors in Figure P28.28 (E = 55 V, R = 5.0 .)

1. ____W (2.0 resistor in loop with 55 V source.)
  2. ____W (5.0 resistor in loop with 55 V source.)
  3. ____W (5.0 resistor in loop with 20 V source.)
  4. ____W (2.0 resistor in loop with 20 V source.)

Homework Equations

Kirchhoff's Rules
ƩIenter - Ʃleave = 0

ƩEmf - ƩIR = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9172399/Pictures/001.jpg I basically broke the problem into the six loops and wrote equations based on the loop rule. I've never encountered anything near as complex as this, so I'm at a loss of what to do...

How does the point rule work in this case with so many currents? Did I draw the currents in the right direction? I haven't the slightest idea...

You only need enough loops so that all of the components are traversed by at least one. So in this case you can get away with three loops. Your loops designated I, II, and III would suffice.

The directions that you assume for the currents won't matter so long as you follow the rules about potential drops occurring in the direction of assumed current flow as you go around the loops.

Ok, solving the equations, I got the following

I1 = ~ 12.2

I2 = ~ 6.11

I3 = ~ 6.11

I4 = ~ 25.3

So now, using P=IV, can I simply substitute the I values I got above and the voltage that the provide in each part? Or is it not that simple?

Last edited:
bodkin.thomas said:
Ok, solving the equations, I got the following

I1 = ~ 12.2

I2 = ~ 6.11

I3 = ~ 6.11

I4 = ~ 25.3

So now, using P=IV, can I simply substitute the I values I got above and the voltage that the provide in each part? Or is it not that simple?

I think you'll have to show your work. Those currents don't match what I'm seeing for this circuit.

Once you have the currents though each component you can find the power dissipated using a suitable version of the power formula. Simplest would be P = I2R.

Here's what I did

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9172399/Pictures/001%20%282%29.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
bodkin.thomas said:
Here's what I did

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9172399/Pictures/001%20%282%29.jpg

Sorry, I don't see where you're handling the current in the final branch (with the 20 V source). There should be four branch currents, one for each branch:

attachment.php?attachmentid=45917&stc=1&d=1333669681.gif

That makes I1 = I2 + I3 + I4.

You could also write a single KCL node equation and then find the currents using the node voltage.

Attachments

• Fig1.gif
    Fig1.gif
    3.3 KB · Views: 2,426
Last edited by a moderator:
Well there's one problem. I wasn't sure how the rule would function in this case because there were four currents. I'll give it another try with that new rule and come back when I have something to show.

Alright, here's another attempt...

I1 = ~ 18.0
I2 = ~ 1.79
I3 = ~ 1.79
I4 = ~ 14.5

What I did might work or I might have done something illegal...

I took

55-7I2-2I3-2I4
-20 -5I3+2I4
-5I2+5I3

added them and got

35 - 12I2 -2I3 = 0

and then solved for I3

I3 = 12.5-6I2

Then I substituted that into

-5I2 + 5I3 = 0

and got my answers...

I've never solved for 4 variables, so I'm kinda grasping at straws.

Your equations look fine, but your solutions are off.

How about these?

I1 = 18.0
I2 = 3.8
I3 = 3.8
I4 = 10.5

bodkin.thomas said:
How about these?

I1 = 18.0
I2 = 3.8
I3 = 3.8
I4 = 10.5

Nope.

Let's take your equations:

55 - 7I2 - 2I3 - 2I4 = 0
-20 - 5I3 + 2I4 = 0
-5I2 + 5I3 = 0

Note that the last equation implies that I2 = I3. So replace I2 in the first equation with I3, and discard the last equation since it's served its purpose. You're now left with two equations in two unknowns:

55 - 9I3 - 2I4 = 0
-20 - 5I3 + 2I4 = 0

continue...

Thanks for your help tonight! Made a mistake typing the matrix in my calculator... :redface:

What is power and how is it calculated?

Power is the rate at which energy is transferred or converted. It is calculated by multiplying the voltage (V) by the current (I), using the formula P=V*I. The unit of power is watts (W).

Why is it important to calculate the power delivered to each resistor?

Calculating the power delivered to each resistor is important because it helps us understand how much energy is being used and dissipated in a circuit. This information is crucial for designing and optimizing electrical systems.

How do you calculate the power delivered to a resistor in a series circuit?

In a series circuit, the power delivered to a resistor can be calculated by using the formula P=I^2*R, where I is the current flowing through the resistor and R is the resistance of the resistor.

How do you calculate the power delivered to a resistor in a parallel circuit?

In a parallel circuit, the power delivered to a resistor can be calculated by using the formula P=V^2/R, where V is the voltage across the resistor and R is the resistance of the resistor.

What factors can affect the power delivered to a resistor?

The main factors that can affect the power delivered to a resistor are the voltage and current in the circuit, as well as the resistance of the resistor. Other factors such as temperature, material properties, and circuit design can also have an impact on the power delivered to a resistor.