Navigate the Res-Monster Maze: Find R's Current

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving resistors and batteries in a circuit. The goal is to find the current through resistor R, which is labeled as the unknown in the problem. The conversation covers various approaches and equations, ultimately concluding that the potential difference across R can be used to find the current through it.
L_landau

Homework Statement

Res-monster maze. In Fig. 27-21, all the resistors have a resistance of 4.0 and all the (ideal) batteries have an emf of 4.0 V. What is the current through resistor R? (If you can find the proper loop through this maze, you can answer the question with a few seconds of mental calculation.)

Homework Equations

V = IR

The Attempt at a Solution

Can't I just use the loop rule which says that the sum of all the voltage drops in a closed loop is equal to zero? So I would just go around the smallest loop that encompasses the R, and I'd have
ε - IR - IR = 0 -> I = ε/2R but this isn't correct.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-08-23 at 8.14.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-08-23 at 8.14.37 PM.png
    9.5 KB · Views: 695
Physics news on Phys.org
No, you can't do that. For the loop that you selected, the current (I) is shared by other loops.

But if I don't go through any other resistors besides R, and take a circle around the circuit back to R (going through a few potentials), that path doesn't share it's current with other loops? What's the thought process for that?

Can you draw the loop you selected on the drawing?

In the problem statement, all the resistors have a value of 4 ohms. I would label them all r. The unknown R could have some other value.

Is your equation involved with both r plus R? Please show a sketch.

L_landau said:
But if I don't go through any other resistors besides R, and take a circle around the circuit back to R (going through a few potentials), that path doesn't share it's current with other loops? What's the thought process for that?
Uh ... you really need to rethink that.

L_landau said:
You can take the potential zero at point O. What is the potential at A? Find a path from O to A going through batteries only.
upload_2017-8-24_6-55-35.png

Likes cnh1995
L_landau said:
The potential difference across an ideal battery stays the same if you connect anything to its terminals. If you know the potential difference across R you can get the current through it.

1. How do I play "Navigate the Res-Monster Maze: Find R's Current"?

To play the game, use the arrow keys on your keyboard to move the character through the maze. The goal is to find the "R" symbol, which represents the current. Avoid the "res-monsters" along the way.

2. What is the objective of the game?

The objective of the game is to find the "R" symbol, which represents the current, while avoiding the "res-monsters" in the maze. The game is designed to test your navigation and problem-solving skills.

3. How many levels are there in the game?

There are multiple levels in the game, each with increasing difficulty. The number of levels may vary depending on the version of the game you are playing.

4. Can I reset the game if I get stuck?

Yes, you can reset the game by pressing the "Reset" button on the screen. This will take you back to the beginning of the current level.

5. Is there a time limit for completing the game?

No, there is no time limit for completing the game. Take your time to strategize and navigate through the maze to find the "R" symbol. However, the faster you complete the game, the higher your score will be.