Maximun power delivered to a resistor

In summary, the problem is asking to find the maximum possible power delivered to a resistor, given the current through a power line and the length of the loop that will receive the induced emf. The student attempted to calculate the emf using the equation for magnetic field and the equation for emf, but made mistakes in assuming the magnetic field was constant and in calculating the resistance of the copper wire. The student also asked for clarification on how to determine the cross-sectional area of the wire given only its gauge number. The answer was provided that the gauge number refers to the American Wire Gauge and the resistance per foot can be looked up online.
tadm123

Homework Statement

Find the maximun possible power delivered to the resistor. Given current through a power line. And the length of the loop that will receive the induced emf.

Homework Equations

B= uo*I/2pi*ρ
Vemf= -d/dt ∫B*dS

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's my attempted solution:

img178.jpg

img181.jpg

I just need to know if the answer is correct.

Thanks a lot guys.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your emf calculation is not right. You have assumed the B field is everywhere the same inside the loop which it isn't.

You also badly miscalculated the resistance of the copper wire. The area is that of the wire's cross-section, not that of the loop!

Probably a stupid question, but how do I know the cross section area of wire if I'm not given the radius of the wire?

tadm123 said:
Probably a stupid question, but how do I know the cross section area of wire if I'm not given the radius of the wire?

It's not a stupid question it's a very good question.

You somehow need to compute the resistance of the entire loop and can do that if you're given (1) Cu resistivity, (2) length of loop (check) and (3) cross-sectional area of wire (not provided).

Likes 1 person
Well I'm not very knowledgeable in wires and electronics. But all I was given in the problem was that it is a "#6 wire"

You know what does that mean? Is that some type of wire nowadays already manufactured with it's own specifications ?

tadm123 said:
Well I'm not very knowledgeable in wires and electronics. But all I was given in the problem was that it is a "#6 wire"

You know what does that mean? Is that some type of wire nowadays already manufactured with it's own specifications ?

That means AWG ("American Wire Gauge") #6 gauge wire. You can look up its resistance per foot or whatever on the Web.

I see, thanks a lot.

1. What is maximum power delivered to a resistor?

The maximum power delivered to a resistor is the highest amount of energy that can be transferred to the resistor from a power source.

2. How is maximum power delivered to a resistor calculated?

The maximum power delivered to a resistor is calculated by using the formula P = V^2/R, where P is power in watts, V is voltage in volts, and R is resistance in ohms.

3. Can the maximum power delivered to a resistor be exceeded?

Yes, the maximum power delivered to a resistor can be exceeded. However, doing so can lead to overheating and potentially damaging the resistor.

4. How does the maximum power delivered to a resistor affect its performance?

The maximum power delivered to a resistor affects its performance by determining its ability to handle and dissipate heat. If the maximum power is exceeded, the resistor may overheat and its performance may be compromised.

5. What factors can affect the maximum power delivered to a resistor?

The maximum power delivered to a resistor can be affected by several factors, including the voltage and current supplied by the power source, the resistance of the resistor, and the ambient temperature. Additionally, the type and quality of the resistor can also play a role.