1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate the required relative permeability of magnetic mat

1. Mar 10, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider the core of dimensions given in example 5-1. A coil requires an inductance of 23.6μH, a maximum current of 4A is allowed, and flux density is not to exceed 1.3T. Calculate the required relative permeability, μr, of the magnetic material that should be used.

(HINT: You will need to consider N, the number of turns on the core. Compute this first, and use the result to find µr)

2. Relevant equations
    Lm = N^2/R
    Bm = μm*N^2/lm
    gamma = N*PHI
    PHI = N*i/Rm
    PHIm = Bm*Am

3. The attempt at a solution
    I can solve the solution IF I can solve for N, the number of turns in the core. I cannot find a way to do this. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Am I missing an equation? I've read thru class notes and our book (Electric Machines and Drives - Ned Mohan) and cannot find something that would lead to N. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2015 #2

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

Hmmm... perhaps there's something to this flux density? You're presumably given the dimensions of the coils in the figure (which you didn't post for some reason). You also know the maximum current. The maximum current is related to the maximum flux, no? How do they relate?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted