Calculate the required relative permeability of magnetic mat

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the required relative permeability, μr, of a magnetic material for a coil with specific requirements. The solution involves finding the number of turns, N, and considering the flux density and maximum current. The relationship between maximum current and maximum flux is also mentioned.
D.B0004

Homework Statement

Consider the core of dimensions given in example 5-1. A coil requires an inductance of 23.6μH, a maximum current of 4A is allowed, and flux density is not to exceed 1.3T. Calculate the required relative permeability, μr, of the magnetic material that should be used.

(HINT: You will need to consider N, the number of turns on the core. Compute this first, and use the result to find µr)

Homework Equations

Lm = N^2/R
Bm = μm*N^2/lm
gamma = N*PHI
PHI = N*i/Rm
PHIm = Bm*Am

The Attempt at a Solution

I can solve the solution IF I can solve for N, the number of turns in the core. I cannot find a way to do this. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Am I missing an equation? I've read thru class notes and our book (Electric Machines and Drives - Ned Mohan) and cannot find something that would lead to N. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmmm... perhaps there's something to this flux density? You're presumably given the dimensions of the coils in the figure (which you didn't post for some reason). You also know the maximum current. The maximum current is related to the maximum flux, no? How do they relate?

1. What is the purpose of calculating the required relative permeability of magnetic mat?

The required relative permeability of magnetic mat is calculated in order to determine the material's ability to conduct magnetic flux, which is important in various applications such as electromagnets, transformers, and generators.

2. How is the required relative permeability of magnetic mat calculated?

The required relative permeability of magnetic mat is calculated by dividing the magnetic permeability of the material by the permeability of free space (μ0). This value is then compared to the relative permeability of vacuum (μr = 1) to determine the material's relative permeability.

3. What factors affect the required relative permeability of magnetic mat?

The required relative permeability of magnetic mat is affected by factors such as the material's composition, thickness, and temperature. Additionally, the presence of other magnetic materials in the vicinity can also influence the relative permeability.

4. How does the required relative permeability of magnetic mat impact magnetic field strength?

The higher the required relative permeability of magnetic mat, the higher the magnetic field strength will be. This is because a material with a higher relative permeability can conduct more magnetic flux, resulting in a stronger magnetic field.

5. Can the required relative permeability of magnetic mat change over time?

Yes, the required relative permeability of magnetic mat can change over time due to factors such as temperature, stress, and exposure to magnetic fields. In some materials, this change can be reversible, while in others it may be permanent.