Find the magnetic permeability of the iron bar.

In summary, a solenoid with 12 enamels for cm has a current of 2 A passing through it. The magnetic permeability of the iron bar inside can be found using the equation B=μ0*I*N/l(length). After calculations, it is determined that μr (relative permeability) is equal to 500. However, there was confusion regarding the values of B0 and B, as B0 is usually used to indicate the field in a vacuum and B is the field in the material. Upon clarification, it is found that B0=1.5 T and B=1.5 T.
zade70

Homework Statement

In a solenoid with 12 enamels for cm passes the current 2 A. Find the magnetic permeability of the iron bar inside it.(B0=1.508 T)

Homework Equations

B=μ0*I*N/l(length)

The Attempt at a Solution

We have N/l(length)=1200 enamels/meter
B=4*10^-7*3.14*25*1200=0.003T
Now μr(relative permeability)(if this is what the problem is asking is B/B0=1/500, but in my book it is 500. Where is the error?

Physics news on Phys.org
You have swapped B0 and B.

marcusl said:
You have swapped B0 and B.
I found that B=0.003, in the book B0=1.508. μr=B/B0=0.003/1.508=1/500. Where did I make the mistake?

B0 is usually used to indicate field in a vacuum and B is the field in the material. B0=.003 and B=1.5, so mu=500.

marcusl said:
B0 is usually used to indicate field in a vacuum and B is the field in the material. B0=.003 and B=1.5, so mu=500.
But in this case B0=1.5 T(I found out) and B=1.5 T (given by the book)

1. What is magnetic permeability?

Magnetic permeability is a measure of a material's ability to support the formation of a magnetic field within itself. It is a property that describes how easily a material can be magnetized.

2. How is the magnetic permeability of a material determined?

The magnetic permeability of a material can be determined by measuring the strength of its magnetic field when exposed to an external magnetic field. This is typically done using a device called a permeameter.

3. Why is it important to determine the magnetic permeability of an iron bar?

The magnetic permeability of an iron bar is important because it affects the strength of the magnetic field that can be produced by the bar. This can have practical applications in areas such as electromagnets and magnetic storage devices.

4. How does the magnetic permeability of iron compare to other materials?

Iron has a relatively high magnetic permeability, which means it can be easily magnetized and can produce strong magnetic fields. Other materials, such as air and water, have lower permeability and are less effective at producing magnetic fields.

5. Can the magnetic permeability of an iron bar be changed?

Yes, the magnetic permeability of an iron bar can be changed by subjecting it to high temperatures, physical deformation, or by adding certain elements to the iron. This process is known as magnetization and can increase or decrease the bar's magnetic permeability.