1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate the speed of a body which slides through a string

1. Apr 23, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 200 gram body pierced string can slide through a 1.8 m string, tied at points A and B to a vertical rod around which rotates so that the segment BC is flat. Calculate the speed of the body.

I don't know where I have to put the body to solve the problem. Here is the schematic:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...ciofsicat.jpg/

I also give the length of the vertical rod, which is 1.2 m. I guess there should draw any trigonometric relationship, find an angle to work with the components. But again, do not know where I put the body to raise the exercise.

Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2013 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

welcome to pf!

hi sv_heavymetal! welcome to pf! :smile:

your schematic isn't working :redface:

if i understand it correctly, ACB is a right-angled triangle whose lengths you know, and the body is at C :wink:

(btw, the body slides along the string, not through it; or the string slides through the body)

4. Apr 23, 2013 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

... and the right angle is at the lower of A and B, yes? AB=1.2m, AC+CB=1.8m.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted