Calculate the speed of a body which slides through a string

  • Thread starter Thread starter sv_heavymetal
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Body Speed String
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 1K views
sv_heavymetal
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A 200 gram body pierced string can slide through a 1.8 m string, tied at points A and B to a vertical rod around which rotates so that the segment BC is flat. Calculate the speed of the body.

I don't know where I have to put the body to solve the problem. Here is the schematic:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...ciofsicat.jpg/

I also give the length of the vertical rod, which is 1.2 m. I guess there should draw any trigonometric relationship, find an angle to work with the components. But again, do not know where I put the body to raise the exercise.

Thank you!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi sv_heavymetal! welcome to pf! :smile:

your schematic isn't working :redface:

if i understand it correctly, ACB is a right-angled triangle whose lengths you know, and the body is at C :wink:

(btw, the body slides along the string, not through it; or the string slides through the body)
 
tiny-tim said:
if i understand it correctly, ACB is a right-angled triangle whose lengths you know, and the body is at C
... and the right angle is at the lower of A and B, yes? AB=1.2m, AC+CB=1.8m.