Calculate the tension in the string

1. 1. Calculate the tension in the string T in each of the following situations.
    In all calculations ignore the mass of the beam.

[​IMG]

2. Moment=F X Perpendicular Distance and Basic Trigonometry

3.I have tried 200N X 0.5m=100 100/Cos30

Help is much apperchated.

2. jcsd
  3. Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Chegg
    I understand the left side of this equation: the clockwise torque due to the 200 N force. The right side should be the counter-clockwise torque due to the tension of the cable.

Correct this equation, rewriting the right hand side in terms of T (tension). Then solve for T.

4. I think i have found the solution by calculating the "opp" tan30 X 0.5 = 0.2886 from there onward we do 200 X 0.5= 100/0.2886 =346.5/cos 30 = 400 N

However now I am stuck on an similar equation of [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2007
  5. Doc Al

Don't really understand what you did there with tangents and cosines. All you need is:
    0.5*200 = 0.5*T*sin(30)
    which gives you T = 400.

Solve it in the same way. The only difference is the moment arm associated with the 200 N force.

I strongly suggest you adopt a systematic approach, like the one I used.

6. But why would you use sine30 wouldnt that work out the "opp"?. Due to the fact the T is on the hypoteanus.

7. Doc Al

You want the component of T perpendicular to the beam, which in this case means [itex]T\sin {30}[/itex].

8. But why would T need to become perpendicular ? Also for question 2 how am I ment to work it out with out the given length ?

9. Doc Al

Because you are finding the torque (moment) it generates about the pivot point. Do you understand the definition of moment?

10. The moment is the turning force right ?

11. Doc Al

You could call it that, yes.

12. Im stuck on the second question I posted because they havent stated the length what do I do ?

13. Doc Al

You are given all the lengths you need. (The force is at the midpoint of the beam.)

14. So the length is the mid-point between 0 and 0.5 ? meaning its 0.25

15. Doc Al

That's correct. But realize that you don't need the length of the beam: You can just use L or L/2. (The actual length doesn't matter.)

16. But doesnt the formular state Motion=Force * perpendicular distance ? This would mean the formula is 200*L = L*T*sin30 correct ?

17. Doc Al

Sure. Notice that the length cancels from both sides of that equation.

18. So your left with 200/sin30= T meaning 400= T ?

19. Doc Al

Right, as I stated in post #4. (This is for your first problem.)

20. This is for the second problem though, wouldnt the Motion be different due to the force being applyed to the mid-point? I seem to of gotten T=400 in my previous post.

21. Doc Al

These calculations apply to the first problem.

For the second problem, the method is exactly the same: Set clockwise and counter-clockwise torques equal. Of course the torque exerted by the 200 N force is different in the second problem, since it's applied at the midpoint instead of at the end.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?