• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Calculate the valency of the element?

• Thread starter avistein
  • Start date
1.The equivalent weight of an element is 4.It's chloride has a V.D.=59.25.Find out the valency of the element

Homework Equations

3.Molecular wt=108.50 u.Then how to proceed?

Answers and Replies

Borek
Mentor
What is VD?

What is VD?
I think VD is Vapour Density.

Mark44 said:
Venereal Disease?
:tongue:

Borek
Mentor
I think VD is Vapour Density.
Slightly more likely than Mark's suggestion :wink:, but if so, we will need units to be able to calculate anything.

@Borek and all others,V.D is Vapour Density.

@Borek,what units do you need?

Borek
Mentor
Units of vapour density - is it in stones per cubic mile, or pounds per barrell, or something else? Without units number you listed doesn't make any sense.

Units of vapour density - is it in stones per cubic mile, or pounds per barrell, or something else? Without units number you listed doesn't make any sense.
:rofl:

At least in the book I follow, the author has never mentioned the units of vapour density even though it is defined as Molecular weight/2.

:rofl:

At least in the book I follow, the author has never mentioned the units of vapour density even though it is defined as Molecular weight/2.
See the original definition of Vapour Density. Its just the ratio of density of substance with respect to hydrogen, or ratio of mass of substance to the mass of same volume of hydrogen under same condition of temperature and pressure. Ratio does not have any unit, just like the relative molecular mass. Note: I used "substance" word. Better replace it with "given gas".

When you apply laws of gases, etc.. you get the modified definition of vapour density as Molecular weight/2. That Molecular Weight is in fact Relative Molecular Weight.

3.Molecular wt=108.50 u.Then how to proceed?
This isn't even an attempt since by definition, vapour density is numerically equal to half the molar mass.

Think what the relationship between equivalent weight and molar weight is. Also instead of valency you might want to use the term 'equivalence factor' although note that IUPAC has discouraged the use of equivalence concept.