Mutiple Valences, Ionic compounds and Transition metals.

In summary, When naming ionic compounds with transition metals, it is important to consider the valence of the transition metal, which can vary. Roman numerals are used to indicate the valence. In some cases, common factors are taken out of the subscripts in the formula. For molecular compounds, the subscripts represent the actual number of each type of atom in a molecule.
supernova1203
So i was doing my school work earlier and i had trouble wrapping my head around this particular topic, even though i was able to finish all of it correctly, i want to make sure it sinks it well so i once again decided to approach these forums :)

We were naming Ionic compounds, specifically with transition metals in them, and i learned that transition metals have different valences, for example Iron (Fe) has a valence of either +2 or +3...

So depending on which valence the Iron has we use roman numerals to write them

Iron (III)bla bla(not a real element)

Also sometimes the valences are canceled out before they are written in forumla form

for example for arguments sake make up a random element, that has a valence of 4, and another element has a valence of 2

here, they factor out the numbers and one of the elements is written with a 2(since 2 goes into 4 2 times) and one is written with a 1(invisible)

so the compound is blabla2(bla)--->second element in the compound

My question is, all that stuff is it accurate? or am i wrong about the concept of this?

(sorry i couldn't be clearer, just writing this as it comes to me)

in other words does it make sense?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, for ionic compounds any common factors are taken out of the subscripts, in other words the formula is reduced "to lowest terms".

For molecular compounds, the subscripts represent the actual number of each type of atom in a molecule. (Unless it is specifically said that they want the empirical formula.)

1. What are multiple valences?

Multiple valences refer to the ability of an element to form more than one type of ion by either gaining or losing electrons. This results in the element having different charges and therefore different chemical properties.

2. How do ionic compounds form?

Ionic compounds form through the transfer of electrons from a metal atom to a non-metal atom. This creates oppositely charged ions that are held together by electrostatic forces, forming an ionic bond.

3. What is the difference between a cation and an anion?

A cation is a positively charged ion that is formed when an atom loses electrons, while an anion is a negatively charged ion that is formed when an atom gains electrons. Cations are typically formed by metals, while anions are formed by non-metals.

4. Why are transition metals used in many industrial applications?

Transition metals have unique properties that make them useful in many industrial applications. They have multiple valences, can form stable ions, and have high melting and boiling points. They also have the ability to act as catalysts in chemical reactions.

5. How do transition metals differ from other elements?

Transition metals differ from other elements in that they have partially filled d orbitals, which allows them to form multiple valences. They also tend to have high melting and boiling points, are good conductors of electricity and heat, and have a wide range of colors and magnetic properties.