1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate the work done by a force

1. Dec 13, 2005 #1
    I am asked to calculate the work done by a force as it moves around a path. The force is F = b(1-x^2/a^2)j. The path is a rectangle with coordinates at (0,0); (0,L); (a,L); (a,0). The force moves clockwise around the path beginning at the origin. A diagram is attached.

I know work is the integral of F dot dr.
    So for the first path I should have the the force F=b(1-x^2/a^2)j dotted with Lj (the path from the origin to point (0,L)). The integral is thus bL (1 - x^2/a^2) dy with limits from y=0 to y=L. Is this the right approach? If not, can someone please point me in the right direction??

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2005 #2

Physics Monkey

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You have an extra factor of L that you don't need (look at the units). The work is the integral of [tex] \vec{F}\cdot d\vec{r} [/tex] along the path. For example, the first segment has [tex] d\vec{r} = dy \hat{j} [/tex]. You have to figure out what [tex] d\vec{r} [/tex] is for each of the four segments.
  4. Dec 14, 2005 #3
    So, for the first segment, dr = dyj. For the second segment, dr = dx i.
    For the third segment, dr = -dyj. For the fourth segment, dr = -dx i. Is this correct? Are the limits on my integration correct as well?

Also, should the answer be 0 (closed path, conservative force...not sure if the force is conservative though)?
  5. Dec 14, 2005 #4

Staff: Mentor

If the answer is zero then the force is conservative, but not all forces are conservative so you can't use that as a check here. (Your dr vectors are correct).

6. Dec 15, 2005 #5
    I get an answer of 2bL (1- x^2/a^2). This does not seem correct to me, since it contains an x^2 term? Is this right? Is there a substitution I can make for x? x=a or x=L, for instance? This problem is driving me crazy...any help greatly appreciated!
  7. Dec 15, 2005 #6

Science Advisor

You can eliminate two of the legs from your problem since the force is in the [tex]\hat{j}[/tex] direction.

In segment 1, x=0. In segment 3, x=a.
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2005
  8. Dec 15, 2005 #7
    Yes...I have the forces for the dx direction to be zero. I'm still doing something wrong though?
  9. Dec 15, 2005 #8

Science Advisor

Did you substitute in the values for x that I just edited into my last post?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?