Calculate the work done by the frictional force

In summary, a block with mass 10 kg is sliding along a horizontal floor with an instantaneous velocity of 4 m/s to the right. A force P is applied to the block and its magnitude varies according to a given graph. Using work and energy arguments, the work done by P, frictional force, and net force can be calculated. The change in kinetic energy, final kinetic energy, velocity at x=4 m, and the distance the block will slide beyond x=4 m can also be determined. The potential energy changes of the earth-block system over the course of motion can be found. The final kinetic energy at x=4 m is 124 J, and the block will slide 8.86 m beyond x=
Bones

Homework Statement

http://www.webassign.net/userimages/jlabelle@dartmouth/graph.gif

A block with mass m = 10 kg slides along a horizontal floor. The kinetic friction force opposing the motion of the block is constant at a value 14 N. At clock reading t=0.0 s and position x=0.0 m, the block has an instantaneous velocity of v = 4 m/s to the right. A force P is applied to the block starting at the instant it is in the position x=0. The direction of P remains fixed and positive (to the right), but its magnitude varies according to the graph above. Use work and energy arguments to answer the questions below; do not make use of Newton's second law.
a) Calculate the work done by the force P in the displacement from x=0 to x=4 m.

b) Calculate the work done by the frictional force during the same displacement

c) Calculate the work done by the net force acting on the block during the displacement.

d) Calculate the change in kinetic energy of the block.

e) Calculate the final kinetic energy of the block; that is, the kinetic energy it possesses on reaching the position x=4 m.

f) Calculate the velocity of the block at the position x=4 m.

g) Calculate how far the block will slide beyond position x=4 m if the force P abruptly drops to zero at this position and remains zero from there on.

h) Calculate any potential energy changes of the earth-block system that take place over the course of the motion from x=0 to x=4 m.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a) I found the area under the curve = 100 J
b) 14N*4m*cos180 = -56 J
c or d, I am not sure which) 100J+(-56J) = 44 J
I am not sure about the rest. Can someone help me out??

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Bones said:
d) Calculate the change in kinetic energy of the block.

e) Calculate the final kinetic energy of the block; that is, the kinetic energy it possesses on reaching the position x=4 m.

f) Calculate the velocity of the block at the position x=4 m.

g) Calculate how far the block will slide beyond position x=4 m if the force P abruptly drops to zero at this position and remains zero from there on.

h) Calculate any potential energy changes of the earth-block system that take place over the course of the motion from x=0 to x=4 m.

The Attempt at a Solution

a) I found the area under the curve = 100 J
b) 14N*4m*cos180 = -56 J
c) 100J+(-56J) = 44 J
I am not sure about the rest. Can someone help me out with some equations??

d) what happened to the additional work? What did it go into?

e) what's the total?

f) You know m so what's v?

g) how long until it stops then with friction slowing it by 14 J per meter?

h) is it horizontal?

Is the answer for c and d the same??

Bones said:
Is the answer for c and d the same??

Where else would it go?

I am not sure I know what part e is asking for...would initial kinetic energy be 1/2(10kg)(4m/s)^2=80 and then final would be 80-44=36??

For part f, 44J=1/2(10kg)v^2-1/2(10kg)(4m/s)^2 = 4.98m/s ?

Is the answer for h=0?

g) 1/2(10kg)(4.98m/s)^2 = (14N)(x) x = 8.86m ?

Last edited:
Sorry to be such a bother, but I applied for a tutor but they did not have one that could work around my school schedule :P

Bones said:
I am not sure I know what part e is asking for...would initial kinetic energy be 1/2(10kg)(4m/s)^2=80 and then final would be 80-44=36??

P was adding KE to the object, not subtracting it.

Bones said:

You found the initial KE correctly, but not the final.

Wnet = change in kinetic energy = KEfinal - KEinitial
Wnet = 44J as you found out, so:
44J = KEfinal - 80J
KEfinal = 44J + 80J = 124J

Bones said:

This looks good.

for part h, I'm not sure, but I would guess that the answer is zero.

For part g, there is still a frictional force of 14N slowing it down. But remember, you said you are not allowed to use Newtons second law (F = ma) so you have to use the Wnet = KE2 - KE1 to solve for it.

Bones said:

No. The total KE at that point is equal to mV2/2

Edit: OK. You got the right answer, but I was looking for 124 J = mV2/2

Last edited:
LowlyPion said:
P was adding KE to the object, not subtracting it.

So it would be 80+44?

LowlyPion said:
No. The total KE at that point is equal to mV2/2

So 124J=1/2(10kg)(v^2) v=4.98m/s

Bones said:
g) 1/2(10kg)(4.98m/s)^2 = (14N)(x) x = 8.86m ?

This is the right idea, but the wrong total KE at x=4.

Just redo it.

Edit: OK so you did have the right total KE. I didn't recognize it.

KE at x=4 is 124J
124J=(14N)(x)
x=8.86m

That was a lot of great help. Thank you soo much!

1. What is the definition of work done by the frictional force?

The work done by the frictional force is the energy that is lost or dissipated due to the resistance between two surfaces in contact. It is a measure of the amount of energy that is converted into heat or sound due to the movement of an object.

2. How is the work done by the frictional force calculated?

The work done by the frictional force can be calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force of friction by the distance over which it acts. This can be represented by the equation: W = Ff x d, where W is the work done, Ff is the force of friction, and d is the distance over which the force acts.

3. What are the factors that affect the work done by the frictional force?

The work done by the frictional force is influenced by several factors, including the magnitude of the force of friction, the type of surfaces in contact, the roughness of the surfaces, and the speed of the object moving over the surface. Additionally, the work done can also be affected by the presence of lubricants or other substances between the surfaces.

4. Can the work done by the frictional force be negative?

Yes, the work done by the frictional force can be negative. This occurs when the force of friction is acting in the opposite direction of the movement of the object. In this case, the frictional force is actually doing work on the object, causing it to lose energy.

5. Why is it important to calculate the work done by the frictional force?

Calculating the work done by the frictional force is important because it helps us understand the amount of energy that is being lost due to friction. This can be useful in designing and improving machines and mechanisms, as well as in understanding the efficiency and performance of different systems. It also allows us to accurately account for energy losses and make more accurate predictions and calculations in various scientific and engineering fields.