Calculate Third Octave Band Response from Narrowband Data

In summary, to convert a narrowband frequency response to third octave, you can use the A-weighted filter to calculate the third-octave band levels by applying a frequency-dependent weighting factor to the power spectrum of the signal and summing the results. This can be done by using the formula Lp(ƒ)=20log(P(ƒ)/P0) at each third-octave band center frequency.
jasonbot
I have a signal that I am able to calculate through an acoustic model for airfoil noise. I am told that the model solves for a narrowband frequency response, however, my measurement data is provided in third-octave band representation.

How do I convert my current dataset to the third octave?

Lp(ƒ)=20log(P(ƒ)/P0)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-05-17 at 11.27.32.png
    Screen Shot 2017-05-17 at 11.27.32.png
    4.3 KB · Views: 617
Physics news on Phys.org
The most common way to convert a narrowband frequency response to third octave is by using the A-weighted filter. This filter takes the power spectrum of the signal and applies a frequency-dependent weighting factor to each frequency bin, which is then summed together to calculate the third-octave band levels. The formula for the A-weighted filter is given by: Lp(ƒ)=20log(P(ƒ)/P0), where P(ƒ) is the power spectrum of the signal and P0 is a reference value. To obtain the third-octave band levels, you will need to calculate the A-weighted filter at each third-octave band center frequency and then sum the results.

What is the purpose of calculating third octave band response from narrowband data?

The purpose of calculating third octave band response from narrowband data is to analyze and understand sound and vibration levels in a more detailed and specific manner. It allows for a more accurate representation of the frequency content of a signal and can help identify sources of noise or vibration.

How is third octave band response calculated?

Third octave band response is calculated by grouping together narrowband data into 1/3 octave bands, which cover a specific range of frequencies. These bands are then weighted according to the human hearing threshold and combined to create a third octave band response curve.

What is the difference between narrowband and third octave band data?

Narrowband data refers to measurements taken at specific frequencies, while third octave band data is a broader representation of the frequency content of a signal. Narrowband data is often used for basic analysis, while third octave band data allows for more detailed analysis of sound and vibration levels.

What are the benefits of using third octave band response over other methods of analysis?

Third octave band response provides a more accurate representation of the frequency content of a signal compared to other methods of analysis. It also allows for easier comparison between different sources of noise or vibration, as well as the ability to identify specific frequencies that may be causing issues.

Are there any limitations to calculating third octave band response from narrowband data?

One limitation is that third octave band response only provides a snapshot of the frequency content at a specific moment in time. It does not take into account changes in frequency over time, which may be important for some applications. Additionally, the accuracy of the results may be affected by the quality of the narrowband data used.