Boat sailing 70° then 272° and ending 150 km north

  • Thread starter Thread starter FrostScYthe
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 6K views
FrostScYthe
Messages
80
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A boat leaves the dock and sails in a direction of 70°. Once reaching its destination on the opposite shore, it sails
in a direction of 272° and docks 150 km north of its original starting position. What is the total distance the boat
has traveled?

Homework Equations


Sine Law


The Attempt at a Solution


I don't think I'm getting the right answer because I'm not representing the problem correctly. This is how I'm representing the problem then I just simply use AAS

http://img243.imageshack.us/my.php?image=untitledce7.jpg
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Your angles are incorrect- they should be measured from north in a clockwise direction. Using this, you should be able to draw the correct diagram, where the final poistion is due north of the starting position.
 
I assume the 272° is with respect to the 'horizontal axis'?