Calculate Total Charge in Cube w/ Electric Field E = 2.0i − 3.0j

  • Thread starter Thread starter vande060
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Flux
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
vande060
Messages
180
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A region of space around the origin contains an electric field E = 2.0i − 3.0 j. Such a field cannot exist
in empty space. Find the total charge within a cube of side a = 0.5m centered on the origin, with its six faces
possessing normals in the six cardinal directions ±i,±j,±k.

Homework Equations



∫ E da = q/εo

The Attempt at a Solution



So I know what E is so I can plug that into gauss' law and dot that into the surface area of a side of the cube, then set that equal q/εo

I really only have to be concerned he with +/- i and +/- j
(2.0i − 3.0 j) . (+/-a2i +/-a2j) = q/εo

Is this right so far, if it is ill just solve for q, but I am not sure if I am right to this point
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You will have to explain the problem better. Can you give us the actual wording of the problem?

AM
 
Andrew Mason said:
You will have to explain the problem better. Can you give us the actual wording of the problem?

AM

Thanks for your response. I copied and pasted the problem word for word in my book under headline 1, I don't know how to make it clearer, that's verbatim. What i got from it was to use the electric field given, and plug that into the formula for flux(under headline 2) and solve for q.