Electric flux of a cube due to a point charge

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Gauss's Law to calculate the flux of a charge placed on the middle of a cube. One person suggests using logic and symmetry to simplify the calculation, while another mentions the possibility of using surface integrals. It is noted that Gauss's Law is a useful tool in electrostatics and can make calculations easier.
The Blind Watchmaker

Homework Statement

upload_2018-3-9_2-5-23.png

Homework Equations

Gauss's Law

The Attempt at a Solution

I simply used logic and observed the symmetry of the cube. If the charge is placed on the middle of the cube, the flux would simply be Q/∈0. The face of the cube itself can be split into 4 squares, with the charge at the center. Thus, if it is located at the side, it is simply 1/4th of the previous flux. Thus flux = ¼ Q/∈0. However, there is no calculation involved as this is pure logic. Is there any calculation available to show the result? Thanks!

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-9_2-5-23.png
    upload_2018-3-9_2-5-23.png
    11.3 KB · Views: 6,096
Physics news on Phys.org
The Blind Watchmaker said:
However, there is no calculation involved as this is pure logic. Is there any calculation available to show the result?
That's the way I would do it. One can do the calculation, but it would be quite lengthy and would involve two integrals, one over the top (or bottom) face and one over the left (or back) face. The net flux would be the sum of the two integrals times 2. This question illustrates the usefulness of Gauss's Law.

The ”actual computation” way would be to note that the divergence of the field is zero away from the charge to rewrite the integral as the integral over a quarter of a sphere (and two semicircular shaped planar surfaces at which the field is parallel to the surface). The integral over the quarter of a sphere is trivial.

Orodruin said:
The ”actual computation” way would be to note that the divergence of the field is zero away from the charge to rewrite the integral as the integral over a quarter of a sphere (and two semicircular shaped planar surfaces at which the field is parallel to the surface). The integral over the quarter of a sphere is trivial.
I note that this method requires the use of Gauss's Law to justify the assertion that the flux through the quarter-sphere is the same as the flux through the cube.

Now that I think about it, the so-called "brute force" method of doing surface integrals over each face is also based on Gauss's Law for the derivation of the electric field due to a charge at the origin, ##\vec E(\vec r) = kq\vec r/r^{3}##. Thus, the calculation of the flux may vary from trivial to involved depending on how and at what point one chooses to bring in Gauss's Law.

In general, I don’t think you will get very far in electrostatics without invoking Gauss’ law a few times. As already noted by the OP, the easiest way forward here is to invoke Gauss’ law in conjunction with symmetry. If possible, this will always give you a simpler computation (I would actually consider it a computation as well - even if you are not explicitly solving integrals). I just mentioned changing integration domain if one reallt feels the psychological need to do a surface integral.

Orodruin said:
In general, I don’t think you will get very far in electrostatics without invoking Gauss’ law a few times.
I agree.

1. What is electric flux?

Electric flux is a measure of the flow of an electric field through a given surface. It is represented by the symbol Φ and is measured in units of volts per meter (V/m).

2. How is electric flux calculated?

The electric flux through a surface is calculated by taking the dot product of the electric field and the surface area vector. In other words, it is the product of the electric field strength and the component of the surface area that is perpendicular to the field.

3. What is a point charge?

A point charge is a hypothetical, infinitesimally small charge that is used to model the behavior of electric fields. It is represented by the symbol q and is measured in units of Coulombs (C).

4. How is the electric flux of a cube due to a point charge calculated?

The electric flux of a cube due to a point charge is calculated by first finding the electric field at each point on the surface of the cube due to the point charge. Then, the dot product of each electric field vector and the corresponding surface area vector is calculated and summed to find the total flux through the cube.

5. What factors affect the electric flux of a cube due to a point charge?

The electric flux of a cube due to a point charge is affected by the strength of the point charge, the distance between the charge and the cube, and the orientation of the cube relative to the charge. The size and shape of the cube also play a role in the calculation of electric flux.