Calculate Transition in Hydrogen for 600nm Wavelength

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 2K views
unf0r5ak3n
Messages
35
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


use the RYDBERG formula to suggest a possible transition that would result in the observed wavelength


Homework Equations


Hydrogen - yellow wavelength about 600nm


The Attempt at a Solution


I used c= lambda x frequency(V) and found (V) to equal 5e14/second
I then used energy(E) = constant(h) x V and found E to equal 3.32e-19j
Last i used En = (-2.178e-18j)/n^2 to find the transition, I did 3.32e-19j = (-2.178e-18j)/n^2 and found n^2 to equal -6.57014 and I'm stuck there because it's a negative number...
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Rydberg formula contains two integers, not one.

What is Rydberg constant value?
 
I believe negative results infer emission rather than absorption.
 
That formula finds the principle energy level, not the energy emission or absorption
 
We haven't learned rydbergs constant yet, so I was assuming we used the one I posted
 
we haven'y learned that formula yet, he told us to use E(n) = (-2.178x10^-18)/n^2
 
ok well i did (change in energy) = E(f) - E(i)
delta(E) = 3.3e-19
E(f) = En when n=2
When n=2 E= -5.445e-19
so 3.3e-19 = -5.445e-19 - E(i)
E(i) = -8.745e-19
I then used E(i) = -2.178e-18/n2
i got n= 1.57815 which doesn't make sense, can anyone tell me what i did wrong?