1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wavelength, emission spectrum, electron transitions

1. Sep 23, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Determine the wavelength (in nm, to one decimal place) of the line in the emission spectrum of the He+ ion produced by a transition from n = 3 to n = 1.

2. Relevant equations
    I used the Rydberg equation for this, although I'm not sure it is the correct one to use.
    fa7bd92080914c973a88453a20c0c730.png

3. The attempt at a solution
    Plugging in n1=1 and n2=3, I get an answer of 102.6nm. A search on wikipedia for the Lyman series also shows that transition from n=3 to n=1 is 102.6nm.

The solution given, however, is 25.6nm. Obviously I am not understanding the question. Help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2010 #2

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor

The Rydberg constant will be different for He+ than for hydrogen because He+ has more protons in its nucleus.

4. Sep 23, 2010 #3

phyzguy

Science Advisor

The equation you used is for Hydrogen. The He ion has a charge of +2, so the Rydberg constant is modified. Go back and look up the equation for how this Rydberg constant is derived.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook