Energy transition of LiCl from flame test

In summary: Im not sure the bohr equation would work since it is for atoms with a single electron.In summary, the Homework Statement is that the LiCl flame test is red. The process would be emission, as photons are emitted when energy is released. The lowest energy transition would be from n=2 to n=1, which would give us the greatest wavelength of visible light. Lyman, Balmer, Paschen, Brackett, and Pfund are some of the series that would be applicable to this information.
Jpyhsics

Homework Statement

LiCl flame test is red.
a) define what process
b)and transition between which energy levels?2. The attempt at a solution
a)I believe that the process would be emission, as photons are emitted when energy is released
b)n=2 to n=1
I assumed that that would be the lowest energy transition, which would give us the greatest wavelength of visible light. My only question is why in the hydrogen spectrum is the transition from n=3 to n=2 red light, or anything to transition to n=2 is visible, whereas here would it be different as lithium has 3 e-? Would lithium also emit visible light from transition to n=2? So would n=3 to n=2 be the correct answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
Jpyhsics said:
b)n=2 to n=1
I assumed that that would be the lowest energy transition,
Is your "assumption" based on fact; small quantum numbers imply larger or smaller energy changes?

Bystander said:
Is your "assumption" based on fact; small quantum numbers imply larger or smaller energy changes?
Well in our lecture our prof said that a small energy change is equal to small frequency and longer wavelength, and I know red is a longer wavelength in the visible spectrum.

Jpyhsics said:
Well in our lecture our prof said that a small energy change is equal to small frequency and longer wavelength, and I know red is a longer wavelength in the visible spectrum.
Would n=2 to n=1 be correct?

Lyman...Balmer...Paschen...Brackett ...Pfund...? Ring any bells?

So far nobody asked: what is Z for lithium?

Bystander said:
Lyman...Balmer...Paschen...Brackett ...Pfund...? Ring any bells?
so would it be n=3 to n=2? since the balmer series is visible light and all transitions to n=2?

Borek said:
So far nobody asked: what is Z for lithium?
The Z is 3

So can you apply hydrogen atom series directly to the energies of the lithium atom transitions?

Borek said:
So can you apply hydrogen atom series directly to the energies of the lithium atom transitions?
No...?

Jpyhsics said:
No...?
So what would I have to use?

Jpyhsics said:
the balmer series
is for hydrogen. Think transition energy.

Bystander said:
is for hydrogen. Think transition energy.
Well energy wise I am thinking that n=2 to n=1 transition would emit the least amount of energy, which would indicate a longer wavelength. So would that be right?

Jpyhsics said:
n=2 to n=1 transition would emit the least amount of energy,
"Least?" :oldsurprised:

"Red" is a reasonably well defined range of wavelengths, calculate if the 2→1 transition falls in that range.

Borek said:
"Red" is a reasonably well defined range of wavelengths, calculate if the 2→1 transition falls in that range.
Or would this have to do with the sublevels? so the electron goes from 2p to 2s?

I am a little confused at what everyone is trying to get at.

Bystander said:
"Least?" :oldsurprised:
Then what would be considered the lowest energy transition?

Jpyhsics said:
the lowest energy transition?
The "last" Δn=1 transition before the "continuum," ∞-1 to ∞-2, change in energy levels is infinitesimal.:wink:

I told you - rather precisely - what to check. Have you tried?

Borek said:
I told you - rather precisely - what to check. Have you tried?
Im not sure the bohr equation would work since it is for atoms with a single electron.

1. What is the purpose of performing a flame test on LiCl?

The purpose of performing a flame test on LiCl is to observe the color of the flame produced when the compound is heated. This color can indicate the presence of lithium ions, which can be useful in identifying the compound and studying its properties.

2. How does the energy transition of LiCl from flame test occur?

The energy transition of LiCl from flame test occurs when the compound is heated. The heat energy causes the electrons in the lithium ions to become excited and jump to higher energy levels. When these electrons return to their original energy levels, they release energy in the form of light, which produces the characteristic color of the flame.

3. What factors can affect the color of the flame in a LiCl flame test?

The color of the flame in a LiCl flame test can be affected by several factors, including the concentration of the compound, the temperature of the flame, and the composition of the gas used to heat the compound. Other factors such as impurities and the presence of other compounds can also influence the color of the flame.

4. What safety precautions should be taken when performing a LiCl flame test?

When performing a LiCl flame test, safety precautions should be taken to prevent potential hazards. These may include wearing protective eyewear and gloves, conducting the experiment in a well-ventilated area, and using proper equipment for heating the compound. It is also important to follow proper handling and disposal procedures for the compound.

5. How is the energy transition of LiCl from flame test related to atomic structure?

The energy transition of LiCl from flame test is related to atomic structure because it involves the movement of electrons within the lithium ions. This movement is governed by the energy levels and orbitals of the electrons, which are determined by the atomic structure of lithium. Understanding this relationship can provide insights into the properties and behavior of LiCl and other compounds.