1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate value of variable from solution to a 2nd ODF

1. Jul 27, 2012 #1
    The Question:
    Find the value of r such that v = xr is a solution of

xd2v/dx2 + (x+4)[itex]\frac{dv}{dx}[/itex] + 3v = 0

My Solution:

After finding the 1st and 2nd derivative of v and substituting into the equation to equat to zero and look for r, I get the answer r =-3. I also get a root that is undefined. I just want someone to confirm my answer or let me know if there is a better method to solve for r. Could their be a possibility of an error in the question?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2012 #2
    Just a little correction. After expanding the diff equation I get xr(rx-1+1)(3+r) = 0

The answers are r = -3, r = -x or r = undefined.

Please advise if I am on the right track.

Thanks

4. Jul 28, 2012 #3
    You are on the right track. Be sure, however, to treat the cases where r = 1 and r = 2 separately; think about why you should :)

On the other hand, what doe r = -x or undefined mean? r should be a value independent of x. And saying that r = undefined is undefined and has no meaning. So r = -3 is indeed the solution.

5. Jul 28, 2012 #4
    Thanks for the reply who. Much appreciated. Cheers

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook