Calculate velocity with initial height, range and angle

In summary, the homework problem involved finding the optimum angle and initial velocity for a nerf gun to achieve the longest distance from the starting point. The four given equations for projectile motion were used to solve for the initial velocity and angle at zero degrees. However, when the angle was nonzero, the equations became more difficult to solve. The quadratic formula was used to solve for time, but this did not take into account the starting height of the projectile. To accurately solve for the maximum distance, the equations for horizontal and vertical displacement were differentiated with respect to the angle.
spiderdan

Homework Statement

My lab partner and I were to find the optimum angle a nerf gun could be fired at to provide the longest distance from the starting point. We also need to calculate the initial velocity of the projectile and the range and height the projectile should have reached for each angle. Air resistance is ignored. The data my partner and I collected in the lab was as follows

data.jpg

Homework Equations

v = v0 + at

x = x0 + v0t + 1/2at2

v2 = v02[/sub] + 2a(x - x0)

note: apparently, these are the four equations which are given on the AP exam. I am allowed to use other projectile motion equations, but I must show how they were derived from these three.

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to solve at zero degrees quite easily.
y = v0yt + 1/2gt2 + y0 (from second equation)
y = (v0ysinθ)t + 1/2gt2 + y0
0 = (v0ysin0)t + 1/2*-9.8m/s2*t2 + .84m
0 = -4.9m/s2*t2 + .84m (sin0 = 0)
t = .414

x = x0 + v0t + 1/2at2
x = v0xt + 1/2at2
x = (v0cosθ)t
6.24m = (v0cos0)*.414s
v0 = 15.07m/s

When the angle becomes nonzero is where I run into trouble. I can't solve for time and then plug into the other equation for velocity. There is an equation in my physics book which seems to be for this very purpose.

R = (v20/g)sin2θ0

The problem is that I can't use an equation straight out of the book, I have to derive it. That, and that it doesn't have Y0

Using the book equation for 15°

10.17m = (v20/9.8m/s2)sin2(15)
v20 = 14.12

I had the thought that I might be able to solve one equation in terms of v0 and then plug this into the other equation. I tried this leaving Y0 at 0 to see if it matched up with the books equation

0 = (v0sin15)t - 4.9t2
4.9t2 = (v0sin15)t
4.9t = v0sin15
18.93t = v0
t = v0/18.93

10.17m = (v0cos15)(v0/18.93)
192.53 = (v0cos15)v0
v20 = 199.32
v0 = 14.12

This works, but if I bring Y0 into the picture, the equation becomes much more difficult to solve. Here is my attempt.

y = y0 + V0y + 1/2gt2
0 = .89m + (v0sin15°)t - 4.9 m/s2t2
0 = -4.9 m/s2t2 + (v0sin15°) + .89m

I then plugged this into the quadratic formula and got t = .00140v02 - .182

10.17m = (v0cos15°)(.00140v0]2 - .182)
0 = .0013524v03 - .175812v0 - 10.17
v0 = 21.1795 m/s

this velovity is faster than the one with a Y0 of 0, which can't be right. Where am I going wrong?

As a side note, I believe it was assumed the gun would be held on the floor, making the slight y0 irrelevent. My group fired the gun from a table, which obviosly makes y0 more important. Is there some way we can add y0 into the equation, or do we just need to account for this in our error analysis? Thanks ahead of time!

Physics news on Phys.org
Although the image is lost, I deduce from your working that the target height is 0.84m (or is it 0.89?) below the launch height. That means the range equation R = (v20/g)sin2θ0 is not valid anyway.

spiderdan said:
plugged this into the quadratic formula and got t = .00140v02 - .182
There should be a square root in there somewhere.
To avoid that, just write out the horizontal and vertical displacement equations as functions of t and v0. Since you want the max horizontal displacement, ##\frac{dx}{d\theta}=0##. Differentiate both displacement equations wrt ##\theta##.
See if you can take it from there.

1. How do you calculate velocity with initial height, range, and angle?

To calculate velocity with initial height, range, and angle, you can use the formula: v = √(g * range^2 / (2 * (range * tan(angle) - initial height)). Where v is the velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), range is the distance traveled, and angle is the launch angle.

2. What is the importance of calculating velocity in a projectile motion?

Calculating velocity in a projectile motion allows you to accurately predict the path of the projectile and determine its maximum height and range. This information is crucial in fields such as physics, engineering, and ballistics.

3. Can velocity be negative when calculating projectile motion?

Yes, velocity can be negative in projectile motion. A negative velocity indicates that the projectile is traveling in the opposite direction of the initial launch angle. This can occur when the projectile reaches its peak and begins to fall back down.

4. What is the difference between initial velocity and final velocity in projectile motion?

Initial velocity refers to the velocity of the projectile at the moment it is launched. Final velocity, on the other hand, refers to the velocity of the projectile at any given point during its motion. Final velocity is affected by factors such as air resistance and gravity.

5. How does the launch angle affect the velocity in projectile motion?

The launch angle plays a significant role in determining the velocity of a projectile. A lower launch angle will result in a shorter range and a higher launch angle will result in a longer range. The optimal launch angle for maximum range is typically 45 degrees.