Calculated G force and don't know what to do now (punch force)

• B
  • Thread starter Patrick ryans
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, the conversation is about calculating the g forces of Superman's punch using the equation V^2/R. However, there are some issues with the calculations, such as using the arm length as the "radius" and exceeding the speed of light. It is also mentioned that g-force is not actually a force, but an acceleration. The correct equation for calculating the force of a punch would be needed.
Patrick ryans
i have calculated the g forces for my favorite comic book character doomsday to see how hard he punches and i know that the equation is V^2/R and i finally finished my equation and my answer is
1.39160521 × 10^23 hertz what does this answer mean and what do i do know to find the amount of G forces and let me know if this is the right thread level for g forces

Physics news on Phys.org
Patrick ryans said:
i have calculated the g forces for my favorite comic book character doomsday to see how hard he punches and i know that the equation is V^2/R and i finally finished my equation and my answer is
1.39160521 × 10^23 hertz what does this answer mean and what do i do know to find the amount of G forces and let me know if this is the right thread level for g forces
Show your calculations or we won't have any idea what you've done.

Likes Patrick ryans
Please show your working :-)

Likes Patrick ryans
“Tests with Air force pilots have shown, that they could identify the plane on a flashed picture that was flashed only for 1/220th of a second.”

That is identifying. So it's pretty safe to say, that recognizing, that SOME light was there is possible with 1/300th of a second.”

First, let's assume your field of vision on a clear horizon at ground level is 2.5 miles in either direction. Also, let's assume that the statistic quoted above that you probably couldn't recognize something if it flashed for just 1/300th of a second is true.

So a plane traveling 5 miles in 1/300th of a second would travel at 1,500 miles a second or 5.4 million miles an hour. That's about .8% the speed of light.

5.4 million miles an hour divided by the normal speed a human runs is

192,857 times faster to be useable

And At it's closest, Pluto is 2.66 billion miles (4.28 billion km) from Earth, and at its furthest 4.67 billion miles (7.5 billion km). This means that Superman is traveling somewhere between 238 and 418 times the speed of light let's take 418 then

418 times 192,857

80,614,226 times the speed of light

speed of light in meters per second 299,792,458

so 299,792,458 times 80,614,226 is

24,167,537,000,000,000 m/s

So the equation for g forces is Velocity in m/s with that number squared divided by the radius in meters

So if you make 24,167,537,000,000,000 m/s squared it is

194,824,730,000,000,000,000,000/?

By using a photo of doomsday, doomsday is 4.62500 inches as the picture at least and using a unit I call DH which stands for doomsday heads which the size of his head is around 0.6875 inches

So 4.62500 divided by 0.6875 inches

That means there is 6.72727273 doomsday heads in his whole body so let’s put it down to 6.73 so its easier (this is the closest I can get I’m not a master at decimals so the whole thing might be almost a sliver off)

And the actual height of doomsday is 8ft and 10 inches

So 8 ft 10 inches divided by 6.73 is

So doomsdays actual size of his head is 1 foot 3¾ inches

So we saw how many DH can be on one arm and it is exactly 3 and 1/5

So 1 foot 3¾ inches times 3 and 1/5 is

4 feet 7⅛ inches or 4.59375 feet

So let’s make this easier and sat his arm is 4.59 feet

So that means his arm is 1.399032 meters

Let’s simplify it so it is 1.4 meters

So know let’s use this info and complete the equation

So 194,824,730,000,000,000,000,000/1.4

1.39160521 × 10^23 hertz

links because some of this stuff other people have kind of answered

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=580044

https://www.reddit.com/r/DCcomics/comments/3079d5/how_fast_is_superman/

ok here is the equation V^2/R is velocity in meters per second squared divided by the radius in meters I did this calculation used a google as a calculator and ended up with hertz

Quite a few issues with your calculations.
Patrick ryans said:
i know that the equation is V^2/R

Patrick ryans said:
So the equation for g forces is Velocity in m/s with that number squared divided by the radius in meters
Why did you use this formula? Why have you used his arm length as the "radius"?
Patrick ryans said:
5.4 million miles an hour divided by the normal speed a human runs is

192,857 times faster to be useable

And At it's closest, Pluto is 2.66 billion miles (4.28 billion km) from Earth, and at its furthest 4.67 billion miles (7.5 billion km). This means that Superman is traveling somewhere between 238 and 418 times the speed of light let's take 418 then

418 times 192,857
I didn't get this also. What do you mean by "useable"?
Patrick ryans said:
80,614,226 times the speed of light

speed of light in meters per second 299,792,458

so 299,792,458 times 80,614,226 is

24,167,537,000,000,000 m/s
Here you've exceeded the speed of light, which isn't possible (even in theory). But, since this is Superman (fiction) we're talking about, let's just ignore the laws of relativity.
It's not that simple to apply these equations to human actions. A punch is a complicated thing. Knowing how fast Superman moves isn't enough to know the force of impact; you'd also have to know how he conducts his arm during the punch (or at least the depth of the dent caused by the punch).
As for the units, g-force is measured in g's (the g stands for acceleration due to gravity; roughly equal to ##9.8m/s^2##). I suppose you know that g-force isn't actually a force, rather it's an acceleration.

Patrick ryans said:
Patrick ryans said:
ok here is the equation V^2/R is velocity in meters per second squared divided by the radius in meters I did this calculation used a google as a calculator and ended up with hertz
That's not an equation for force of any type because it doesn't have the right dimensions. ##v^2/r## is an acceleration, namely the centripetal acceleration needed to keep an object in a circular orbit of radius ##r##. It has nothing to do with what you're trying to calculate, so it's not surprising that you're getting nonsensical results.

You're looking for the "force of a punch". For that you can start with the definition of what a force is, from Newton: ##F=ma##. There are two ways you can go from there:
1) Estimate the mass of the fist and how much its speed changes when it strikes the punched object.
2) Estimate the mass of the punched object and how much its speed changes when it is struck by the fist.

You will use the speed change to calculate the acceleration, but to do that you need to know long it takes for the speed to change. That can be calculated from the initial and final speed and as aniruddha said, "the depth of the dent caused by the punch".

Last edited:
ok I found out how to calculate it here https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/calculating-g-force.611116/ and I am ignoring the laws of physics since it passes the speed of light and I meant at that one part where I said useable I meant unseable I also just realized that I need to find out the exeleration of the object he Is hitting and I new it wasn't a force it was an exelleration but I wasn't thinking of that so dang it I have to do most of the equation over lol I will send you the results when I'm done

and I just read what nugatory said and I need to do the whole thing over again lol

so I'm going to so option number 2 where you said
"2) Estimate the mass of the punched object and how much its speed changes when it is struck by the fist."
know what is the equation to this and I am new to equations so explain what the symbols mean

Patrick ryans said:
so I'm going to so option number 2 where you said
"2) Estimate the mass of the punched object and how much its speed changes when it is struck by the fist."
know what is the equation to this and I am new to equations so explain what the symbols mean
So what are your estimates of the mass of the punched object and how much its speed changes when struck by the fist?

1. What is calculated G force and how is it determined?

Calculated G force is a measure of the acceleration experienced by an object due to the force applied to it. It is determined by dividing the force applied by the mass of the object.

2. How is G force related to punch force?

G force and punch force are directly related as the force of a punch is the force applied to an object, and the resulting acceleration is measured as G force. Therefore, the higher the punch force, the higher the calculated G force.

3. Can G force be dangerous to the human body?

Yes, high levels of G force can be dangerous to the human body as it can cause injuries such as concussions, internal bleeding, and organ damage. It is important to train and punch with proper technique to minimize the risk of injury.

4. How can G force be measured?

G force can be measured using specialized equipment such as accelerometers, which measure the acceleration of an object. These measurements can then be used to calculate the G force experienced by the object.

5. What should I do if I don't know the punch force of my punch?

If you do not know the punch force of your punch, you can estimate it by using the equation for calculating G force and plugging in the known variables such as the mass of your fist and the acceleration experienced by the target. However, for more accurate measurements, it is recommended to use specialized equipment.