1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculatin units for theoretical magnetic point charge

1. Mar 23, 2008 #1

So, assuming the theoretical existence of a monopole, we would have to alter the maxwell equations to give the magnetic field a divergence, and also to ensure that the divergence of the curl of the electric field is still zero we would have to add a term.

The altered divergence of B would have to be
    div(B) = mu0 * ROm

mu 0 being magnetic permeability and ROm being magnetic charge volume density.

I'm having trouble figuring out what the units for the theoretical magnetic point charge, qm, would be - I've figured that the units for the point charge density ROm would be Newtons/(Tesla*meters^2), which doesn't make sense to me - here's how I got it

div(B) => units Tesla/meter
    Mu0 has units T/A
    so ROm must have units A/m, which equates to Newtons/(Tesla*meters^2)...this doesn't make sense to me because it should be a volume density, not an area density, right?

ALSO, if you try to make an analogy to electric field - E has units of Newtons/Coulomb, and the charge unit is Coulomb - so therefore, if B has units of Tesla, then qm should have units of Newtons/Tesla. Which I guess makes sense, somewhat. HOWEVER, if you do it formally, integrating both sides of the new div(B) equation, you get that the units [qm]=(Newtons*meters)/Tesla.

Yet, with the two results that I did get, the q = ro*V rule is conserved (1/m^2 in ro, *m in q, so m^3 = V is the factor by which they differ)...in short, I've confused myself and don't know what to do.

If someone could point out a mistake in my calculations, or point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it!

Thanks muchly.
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2008 #2
    The unit of [tex]\mu_{0}[/tex] shall be
    and therefore the unit for [tex]\rho_{m}[/tex] is

Hopefully this will clear up things for you
  4. Mar 23, 2008 #3
    Oh, SNAP. Thank you!

What a silly mistake.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?