Calculating a Finite Series: Finding Symmetry and Inductive Formulas

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Latrace
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Finite Series
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Latrace
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Hello,

I would love some help on calculating the following sum for [itex]\alpha, \beta \in \mathbb{N}[/itex] and [itex]n \in \mathbb{N} \backslash \{0\}[/itex]:

[itex]\displaystyle\sum_{i=1}^{n-1}i^{\alpha}(n-i)^{\beta}.[/itex]

Thanks in advance,
Latrace
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
([itex]n \geq 2[/itex], of course) I tried to find an inductive formula by setting [itex]n = 2, n = 3[/itex] and [itex]n = 4[/itex], but don't find anything interesting. Of course we already knew that the thing is symmetric, symbolically it is also [itex]\displaystyle\sum_{i=1}^{n-1}i^{\beta}(n-i)^{\alpha}[/itex], but that's about all I find when I try to find an inductive formula. I think now that this might be the easiest way to express the series.
What I eventually need is the behavior for large [itex]n[/itex], but that's [itex]\sim (n-1)^{\beta} + (n-1)^{\alpha}[/itex]. I came across this when I wanted to calculate [itex]\displaystyle\int_{0}^{1}x^m \mathrm{d}x[/itex] for [itex]m \geq 1[/itex] explicitally using the Riemann sum.