Calculating Acceleration of a 2.60 kg Object with Given Tensions and Angle

  • Thread starter Thread starter crazy_nuttie
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Force
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
crazy_nuttie
Messages
12
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


The tensions of the ropes acting on a 2.60 kg object are shown. Find the value of ax, the x-component of the acceleration, if T1=1.40 N, T2=2.80 N, T3=3.20 N, T4=4.70 N, and θ=12.0°? Diagram:
http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/3733/knpic0506bnew.png


Homework Equations


F netx = m * a
a = F netx / m


The Attempt at a Solution


Well, I added the two forces in the X direction simply by doing:

T1 * Cos θ - T3 = m*a

a = ( T1*Cos θ - T3 )/ a

However, I keep getting the wrong answer. Can anyone help me out? Thanks
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
crazy_nuttie said:

The Attempt at a Solution


Well, I added the two forces in the X direction simply by doing:
Looks like three of those forces have x-components. What about T4?