Mass and Tension: Comparing Magnitudes

In summary, based on the given information and assumptions, T1 is equal to M1g, T4 is greater than M3g, and M1 does not accelerate downwards since the system is moving at a constant speed.
gummybeargirl

Homework Statement

In the figure, M2 has more mass than M1 and M1 has more mass than M3. The questions refer to the magnitudes of tensions and weights.

There is friction between the horizontal plane and M2 (μk ≠ 0). M2 is observed to travel at a constant speed. Assume that the pulleys are frictionless and have negligible mass. Select the appropriate statements to complete the following sentences.

Each has the option of True/False/Greater than/Less than/Equal To
1) The magnitude of the net force on M2 is T2 - T3.
2) T1 is ... M1g.
3) T4 is ... M3g
4) T2 is ... T1.
5) M1 accelerates downwards.
6) T3 is ... T2.
2. The attempt at a solution
1) False (friction is playing a role so it has to have a lower magnitude than just T2-T3)
2) Less than (I am making the assumption it will move towards the heavier mass, so it will
have a lower tension to lower the mass)
3) Greater than (it must have a greater tension to raise the mass)
4) Equal to (the tensions will have the same magnitude in opposite directions)
5) There would be no acceleration since it travels at a constant speed)
6) Less than (since it would move towards T2 it would have a greater magnitude for T2 than
T3)
I am not sure where i am going wrong with my thought process.

Attachments

• prob27_3masspulley.gif
    prob27_3masspulley.gif
    2.3 KB · Views: 1,268
Physics news on Phys.org
gummybeargirl said:
2) Less than (I am making the assumption it will move towards the heavier mass, so it will

Are there any other forces acting on M[itex]_{1}[/itex] other than M[itex]_{1}[/itex]g and T[itex]_{1}[/itex]? What would happen if T[itex]_{1}[/itex] were less than M[itex]_{1}[/itex]g?

gummybeargirl said:
(I am making the assumption it will move towards the heavier mass, so it will have a lower tension to lower the mass)
Are you talking about the tension? The tension should be of uniform magnitude throughout the rope. If there were greater tension towards the heavier mass, the rope would move toward the heavier mass (it would un-taut itself) which is counter-intuitive.

gummybeargirl said:
Are there any other forces acting on M[itex]_{3}[/itex] other than M[itex]_{3}[/itex]g and T[itex]_{4}[/itex]? What would happen if T[itex]_{4}[/itex] were greater than M[itex]_{3}[/itex]g? Is this consistent with the information that says "the system moves at constant velocity"?

gummybeargirl said:
6) Less than (since it would move towards T2 it would have a greater magnitude for T2 than T3)
Because it moves toward T[itex]_{2}[/itex], T[itex]_{2}[/itex] must equal T[itex]_{1}[/itex] plus the force of friction, which is said to be nonzero. T[itex]_{3}[/itex] is therefore less than T[itex]_{2}[/itex]
(It doesn't really matter that it moves towards T2, since it's not accelerating. It only matters that that movement causes a frictional force.)

gummybeargirl said:
Each has the option of True/False/Greater than/Less than/Equal To
2) T1 is ... M1g.
3) T4 is ... M3g
5) M1 accelerates downwards.

2. The attempt at a solution
5) There would be no acceleration since it travels at a constant speed)
Look at your answer to 5, and compare it to your answers for 2 and 3. In 5 you correctly state that constant speed implies no acceleration. What does an acceleration of 0 say about the net force?

tms said:
Look at your answer to 5, and compare it to your answers for 2 and 3. In 5 you correctly state that constant speed implies no acceleration. What does an acceleration of 0 say about the net force?

If there is no acceleration then there should be no net force. So that would mean that for both 2 and 3 they would be equal to.
Does that seem correct?

Yes.

Likes 1 person
tms said:
Yes.

Thank you so much for help, i got correct

1. What is mass and tension?

Mass refers to the amount of matter an object contains, while tension is the force exerted on an object by a stretched or compressed material.

2. How are mass and tension related?

Mass and tension are related through the force of gravity. The more mass an object has, the more it will weigh, and therefore the more tension it will create when suspended or supported.

3. How do you measure mass and tension?

Mass is typically measured in kilograms (kg) using a scale, while tension is measured in newtons (N) using a tension meter or spring scale.

4. How do you compare the magnitudes of mass and tension?

To compare the magnitudes of mass and tension, you can use the equation F=ma, where F represents force (tension) in newtons, m represents mass in kilograms, and a represents acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2). This equation allows you to calculate the tension created by a given mass.

5. Why is it important to understand the relationship between mass and tension?

Understanding the relationship between mass and tension is important for many scientific and engineering applications. For example, it is crucial in determining the structural integrity of bridges, buildings, and other structures that must support heavy masses and withstand tension forces. It is also important in understanding the behavior of objects in motion, such as in the study of mechanics and physics.