1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating air resistance on air

1. May 21, 2010 #1

E.L

Fluid Dynamics - Calculating air resistance on air

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm trying to figure out how much the velocity of wind will decrease by over a given distance. I know the velocity at a point 1cm after it has passed over an object, and i need to determine the velocity at the object. The flow is turbulent and the object is oscillating.

2. Relevant equations

I know the formula for air resistance is F=1/2"rho"v^2*C*L^2, where rho is the density, v is the relative velocity, c is the coefficient of drag and L is the length.

3. The attempt at a solution

I have no idea what to do when the question concerns air resistance acting on air. I do not know how to treat length in the equation, as I don't understand how air can have a length. I also do not understand how to find the coefficient of drag on air.

Last edited: May 22, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2010 #2

diazona

Homework Helper

I don't think that equation applies. As far as I know it's only relevant for solid objects moving through air (by the way, in the general form it's F = ρCAv^2/2, where A is cross-sectional area presented to the air).

What you're trying to calculate is like a fluid dynamics problem, and although I'm not familiar with much fluid dynamics myself, it seems fairly complex. Maybe someone else will know of a relevant equation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook