1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating Amplitude of Transverse Wave

1. Sep 25, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The wavefunction of a transverse sinusoidal wave on a string has the form y(x,t) = Acos(kx + ωt + φ), where x and y are in m, t is in seconds and φ is the phase constant in radians. The wave has a period T = 24.5 ms and travels in the negative x direction with a speed of 31.4 m/s. At t = 0, a particle on the string at x = 0 has a displacement of 2.05 cm and travels downward with a speed of 2.15 m/s. What is the amplitude of the wave?

2. Relevant equations

y(x,t) = Acos(kx + ωt + φ)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am genuinely up **** creek without a paddle on this one. I have no idea how to go about it. I thought it was as simple as filling in the variables but then realized that I don't have the phase constant and I don't want to assume there is none because the next part of the question asks for the phase constant. At this point all I really need is a gentle nudge in the right direction I think.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2012 #2
    Well, you have two conditions at the origin, don't you? Try using both of them.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook