Calculating Angular Acceleration of Wheel of Radius R Given Vector of Tot. Acc.

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
peripatein
Messages
868
Reaction score
0
How may I calculate the angular acceleration of a wheel of radius R given that its vector of total acceleration of a point on its perimeter forms an angle of pi/6 wrt the tangential acceleration at that point at t=1sec after the body has begun its motion?

My attempt at a solution:

a_tot = (-r*w^2,r*dw/dt)
a_tang = (0,r*dw/dt)
Their dot product/product of lengths should yield cosine 30.
I got dw/dt = sqrt(3)w^2

Is that correct? Don't I also know that wt = (pi/2 - pi/6)? Couldn't I have calculated w using that?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
hi peripatein! :smile:

(try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)
peripatein said:
a_tot = (-r*w^2,r*dw/dt)
a_tang = (0,r*dw/dt)
Their dot product/product of lengths should yield cosine 30.
I got dw/dt = sqrt(3)w^2

yes :smile:

but wouldn't it be easier to say that the ratio of the radial and tagential components must be tan30° ? :wink:
Don't I also know that wt = (pi/2 - pi/6)?

not following you :confused: