1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating Angular and Linear Speed and period of revolution

1. Feb 3, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A toy truck moves around the outside of a circle of radius 0.6m at 2 revolutions per second

Calculate:
    a: the angular speed of the truck
    b: the linear speed of the truck
    c: the period of revolution

2. Relevant equations
    [itex]
    ω= \frac{2π}{T} \\
    v=rω
    [/itex]
    ??

3. The attempt at a solution
    For part a i have done..
    [itex]
    ω= \frac{2π}{T} \\
    ω= \frac{2π}{0.5} \\
    ω= 12.56 rads/s
    [/itex]

I used 0.5 as it says it rotates twice per second so one rotation would take half a second (i think this maybe wrong).

For part b i have done..
    [itex]
    v=rω \\
    v=0.6 \times 12.56 \\
    v= 7.54m/s \\
    [/itex]
    Obviously this depends on whether I got part a correct.

For part c I am not sure what the question is asking for but at a guess I did what I did in part A..

2 revolutions per second, therefore 1 revolution would take 0.5s.

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2013 #2
    What is 2 divided by .5? Last time I checked it was 4.

4. Feb 3, 2013 #3
    I understand that, but where does that relate to my answers? Have I divided 2 by 0.5 anywhere?

I do usually miss obvious things, and I cant see this one, could you point it out please?

EDIT: sorry I just released this mistake (i think) and rectified it.

5. Feb 3, 2013 #4
    Last time I looked your first answer was 3.14 rad/sec for angular velocity. Now it has been changed to 12.56 radians/sec.

6. Feb 3, 2013 #5
    I am not a native English speaker but I think it means the time one rotation takes. So for c T=0.5s

7. Feb 4, 2013 #6
    Could anyone have another look please and see if there is anything wrong with it now? Any help is appreciated :)

8. Feb 4, 2013 #7
    It is correct. Angular speed is 4*pi; linear speed is 2.4*pi; period is 0.5 seconds.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook