Calculating Angular Velocity and Linear Acceleration in a Speed Skater's Curve

In summary, the speed skater increases his speed from 10 m/s to 12.5 m/s over a period of 3 seconds while coming out of a curve of 20 m radius. His average linear acceleration is 0.6 rad/sec as he leaves the curve.
Katie Morton

Homework Statement

A speed skater increases his speed from 10 m/s to 12.5 m/s over a period of 3 seconds while coming out of a curve of 20 m radius.
a. What is the magnitude of his angular velocity as he leaves the curve? Be sure to include proper units for your answer.
b. What is his average linear acceleration during this curve?

Homework Equations

ω=Δθ/Δt
vt=rω

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure how to start this problem because there is not a given angle. I am wondering if there is a different way to solve for angular velocity or if there is a way to calculate the angle based on the given information.

Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the equation relating linear velocity to angular velocity?
We know the radius and we know the linear velocity at the instant the skater leaves the curve, so we can use that formula to calculate the angular velocity at that instant.

Likes Katie Morton
andrewkirk said:
What is the equation relating linear velocity to angular velocity?
We know the radius and we know the linear velocity at the instant the skater leaves the curve, so we can use that formula to calculate the angular velocity at that instant.

tangential velocity: vt = rω
so you could rearrange to ω = vt/r
ω = 12/20
ω = 0.6 rad/sec

would that be correct?

And for the second part is it just a simple a=Δv/Δt question because it is asking for linear acceleration?

Katie Morton said:
would that be correct?
The method is right, but you appear to have used 12m/s instead of 12.5m/s for the linear velocity.

I find the second question ambiguous. To calculate the skater's tangential linear acceleration you can do what you suggest, and my best guess is that that's what they're after. But the actual linear acceleration of the skater at any point in time while in the curve is the vector sum of her tangential and radial accelerations, where the latter is the centripetal acceleration required to maintain the curve. So the true linear acceleration is the average of that vector sum, which is more complex and also depends on info that we don't have, which is the pattern of acceleration while in the curve (eg constant accel, vs accelerate hard then ease off, vs build up then shut off suddenly).

I suggest you do it the way you indicated, but reply that that is the average linear tangential acceleration.

Likes Katie Morton
andrewkirk said:
reply that that is the average linear tangential acceleration.
Not sure that resolves the difficulty.

[Edit: next lines are incorrect. See post #8.
The average tangential acceleration should be (final tangential velocity - initial tangential velocity)/time.
But the velocity is tangential throughout, so this is the same as the average acceleration. ]

As you say, to find that we need to assume e.g. that the rate of change of speed is constant.
I think what you mean is the average rate of change of speed.

Last edited:
Perhaps we're at cross purposes. What I meant was this:
I get an average tangential acceleration of (12.5-10)/3 which is about 0.8 m/s^2.
The centripetal acceleration will be 10^2 / 20= 5m/s^2 at the beginning of the curve and about 7.8m/s^2 at the end. If we assume the magnitude of tangential acceleration was constant throughout the curve, the magnitude of total acceleration just before the end is ##\sqrt{7.8^2+0.8^2}=7.9ms^{-2}## and just after the beginning it is ##\sqrt{5^2+0.8^2}=5.1ms^{-2}##. The tangential acceleration is dominated by the much larger centripetal acceleration.

The average acceleration is going to be somewhere between 5.1 and 7.9##ms^{-2}##, depending on the pattern of the tangential acceleration over the three seconds.

Unless 'linear acceleration' is used in this course with a specific meaning that somehow excludes centripetal acceleration, eg if it means 'magnitude of tangential acceleration expressed as a linear acceleration'. I'm not familiar with such a convention though.

andrewkirk said:
I get an average tangential acceleration of (12.5-10)/3
I am saying that is wrong. That's the average magnitude of tangential acceleration.
The average tangential acceleration would be ##\frac{\int \vec a_T.dt}{\Delta t}##, where ##\vec a_T## is the instantaneous tangential acceleration. We can write ##\vec a_T = \vec r \times \vec\alpha##. If ##\vec\alpha## is constant, we have ##\frac{\int \vec r.dt\times \vec \alpha}{\Delta t}##, but ##\int \vec r.dt## still looks messy.

haruspex said:
I am saying that is wrong. That's the average magnitude of tangential acceleration
Fair point. So I'm guessing that what the question is after is the average magnitude of tangential acceleration. Calculating anything else would be too complex for the level of question this appears to be.

Do you think there's any terminology convention under which average linear acceleration means that?

I'm thinking that (b) is a badly worded question.

andrewkirk said:
So I'm guessing that what the question is after is the average magnitude of tangential acceleration. Calculating anything else would be too complex for the level of question this appears to be.
Agreed.
andrewkirk said:
Do you think there's any terminology convention under which average linear acceleration means that?
Not that I'm aware of, but that does not mean much.

What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of how fast an object is rotating around a fixed point or axis. It is expressed in units of radians per second (rad/s) or degrees per second (°/s).

How is angular velocity different from linear velocity?

Linear velocity is the measure of how fast an object is moving in a straight line, while angular velocity is the measure of how fast an object is rotating around a fixed point or axis. They have different units of measurement and represent different types of motion.

What is the formula for calculating angular velocity?

The formula for calculating angular velocity is ω = Δθ/Δt, where ω is the angular velocity, Δθ is the change in angle over time, and Δt is the change in time. It is often expressed in radians per second (rad/s) or degrees per second (°/s).

How is angular velocity related to angular acceleration?

Angular velocity and angular acceleration are closely related as they both involve changes in angular position over time. Angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity, and it is measured in units of radians per second squared (rad/s²) or degrees per second squared (°/s²).

What are some real-life examples of angular velocity?

Some real-life examples of angular velocity include the rotation of a spinning top, the motion of a Ferris wheel, and the spinning of a ceiling fan. It is also important in areas such as sports (e.g. the rotation of a basketball or tennis ball) and engineering (e.g. the rotation of gears in a machine).