Area of polar curve r² = 9cos(5θ) from 0 to π/2

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter schaefer
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Area Curve Polar
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 5K views
schaefer
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I've got a test tomorrow and I can't figure this one out:

r[tex]^{2}[/tex] = 9cos(5[tex]\vartheta[/tex])

I picked the inteval from 0 to [tex]\pi[/tex]/2 and I keep getting 18/5 but the back of the book says the answer is 18. I think something is wrong with my interval. Help Please!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
when the angle changed from 0 to pi/2 ,you DON'T get the whole curve!
Try drawing out the curve.Note, cos(5*angle) must be > 0 to give a real point on the curve.

when angle=0, r=3
when angle=18 degree, r=0hope this is helpful