1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating Average Distance Diffused

1. Oct 5, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In a simple model of diffusion in one dimension the quantity D can be shown to be given by half the product of the mean free path and the rms speed of the diffusing particle. Calculate the average distance a molecule of insulin will diffuse in water in one hour if its diffusion coefficient is 8.2 × 10−7 cm^2/s.

2. Relevant equations

J = −D(dc/dx)
    Diffusion length = (2 x D x t)^0.5 -Einsteins

Do I need the mean free path and rms speed equations here?

3. The attempt at a solution

The thing confusing me is the wording of the problem, do I need to use the mean free path and rms speed equations or is the question just making a statement? Can I get away with subbing in D and t = 3600s? Is that finding the same thing - in that case the answer would be Diffusion Length = (2 x 8.2 × 10−7 cm2/s. x 3600s)2 = 0.07683749085cm/hour?
    Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2014 #2
    Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

4. Oct 10, 2014 #3
    It would interpret this problem differently. If the initial concentration is zero, and, if C0 is the concentration at the boundary, then the concentration as a function of time and distance is given by:
    [tex]C=C_0erfc\left(\frac{x}{2\sqrt{Dt}}\right)[/tex]
    To get the average distance traveled, use:
    [tex]x_{ave}=\frac{\int_0^\infty{xCdx}}{\int_0^\infty{Cdx}}[/tex]

Chet

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted