How do we calculate the desorption rate in this case?

• Thread starter Hananism
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rate
In summary: And so the generic equation can be written as: ##rate({\infty})=e^{-\frac E{RT}}##. In summary, the Arrhenius equation can be used to calculate the rate of diffusion or desorption of a molecule at a particular temperature. The energy barrier associated with each process must be known, and the equation can be solved for the rate.
Hananism
Homework Statement
The full homework is in the attached image.
Relevant Equations
2Ddt & Arrhenius temperature dependence.
homework physics.jpg

Solution attempt:
The teacher told us to use the equation 2Ddt to calculate that average distance.
(D: diffusion coefficient that will be calculated by the Arrhenius formula, d: dimentionality of the system, and t: is the time before the desorption of the molecule)
The thing is, the time t has to be calculated as the inverse of the desorption rate.
So to calculate this desorption rate, we should use Arrhenius dependence which I believe is this formula in this attached image:

ar.dependence.png

My questions about this formula:
- is D* the desorption rate? if not, what is it? and where is the desorption rate in the equation?
- what is Lambda here? and how do we calculate it?

If this is not the right formula to calculate the desorption rate, what is the one that I should use?
(if it is another formula, it would be better if you tell me what does each parameter stand for?)

Thank you VERY much in advance, this would really help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
haruspex said:
I don't know where you are getting that form of the Arrhenius equation from, but surely that source defines all the variables?
See if https://composite-analytica.com/messages/3945.html helps.
That form of equation: a classmate sent it to me.
I saw it, and I understood the equation. Thanks so much.
I would just like to know:

How is that Arrhenius Equation related to the desorption rate?​

How can I use it to calculate it?
Because that's what my teacher said "Calculate the desorption rate using the Arrhenius dependence"

Thanks a lot in advance.

Hananism said:
That form of equation: a classmate sent it to me.
I saw it, and I understood the equation. Thanks so much.
I would just like to know:

How is that Arrhenius Equation related to the desorption rate?​

How can I use it to calculate it?
Because that's what my teacher said "Calculate the desorption rate using the Arrhenius dependence"

Thanks a lot in advance.
Disclaimer: I have never had any involvement in this branch of physics, so I am starting from complete ignorance. But it seems to me that there is a generic equation that can be applied to a number of processes: ##rate(T)=rate({\infty})e^{-\frac E{RT}}##, where E is the energy barrier and T is the temperature.
For each of the processes diffusion and desorption, you are given the energy barrier and the rate at ##T=\infty## (the "prefactor").
I assume these are Poisson processes.

1. What is desorption rate?

The desorption rate is the rate at which molecules or particles are released from a surface or material. It is typically measured in units of molecules or particles per unit time.

2. How is desorption rate calculated?

Desorption rate is calculated by dividing the number of molecules or particles that have desorbed from a surface by the total time it took for them to desorb. This can be expressed as a rate constant, which is a measure of the speed of the desorption process.

3. What factors influence desorption rate?

Several factors can influence desorption rate, including temperature, pressure, surface area, and the strength of the bonds between the molecules or particles and the surface. Additionally, the type and composition of the surface can also affect desorption rate.

4. How do we measure desorption rate experimentally?

Desorption rate can be measured experimentally by using techniques such as thermal desorption spectroscopy or mass spectrometry. These methods involve heating the surface or material and analyzing the released molecules or particles to determine the rate of desorption.

5. Can desorption rate be controlled?

Yes, desorption rate can be controlled by adjusting the factors that influence it, such as temperature and pressure. Additionally, using certain surface treatments or coatings can also affect desorption rate. However, it is important to note that some materials may have a fixed desorption rate that cannot be easily changed.