1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating binding energies of ground state electrons

1. Oct 10, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

What is the calculated binding energy of the electron in the ground state of (a) deuterium, (b) [tex]He^{+}[/tex] and (c) [tex]Be^{+++}[/tex]?

2. Relevant equations

For the hydrogen atom, [tex]E_{n}[/tex] = - [tex]E_{o}[/tex] / [tex]n^{2}[/tex]

[tex]E_{o}[/tex] = [tex]me^{4}[/tex] / 2[tex]hbar[/tex]^2(4[tex]\pi[/tex]Eo)^2

3. The attempt at a solution

Not sure how to do this. Can I apply the above equations which are meant for a hydrogen atom to these other atoms? I dont believe so but I'm unsure how to change them.

I know how to correct the Rydberg constant for the different atoms, but it doesnt even appear in any of these formulas so I don't think that would change anything.

Not sure where to start. Help?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2009 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Since you aren't dealing with Hydrogen, shouldn't you be using the equation for the approximate energy levels for any Hydrogenic atom with [itex]Z[/itex] protons instead of the equation for Hydrogen's energy levels?

4. Oct 12, 2009 #3
    Yes, that would make sense, although I can't find that equation anywhere.

5. Oct 12, 2009 #4
    Ok, I finally found it online. [tex]E_{n}[/tex] = ([tex]-Z^{2}[/tex][tex]R_{e}[/tex]) / [tex]n^{2}[/tex]
    Where [tex]R_{e}[/tex] = 0.5([tex]m_{e}[/tex][tex]c^{2}[/tex])[tex]\alpha^{2}[/tex]
    Where [tex]\alpha[/tex] = 1/137
    Therefore [tex]R_{e}[/tex] = 0.5 [(9.11x10^-31 kg)(3.00x10^8 m/s)^2](1/137)^2
    =2.184x10^-18 J = 13.65 ev

So for deuterium,
    [tex]E_{n}[/tex] = [[tex](-1)^{2}[/tex](13.65ev)] / [tex]1^{2}[/tex]
    [tex]E_{n}[/tex] = 13.65ev

For He, the difference is that Z = 2, and thus E = 4(-13.65ev) = -54.6ev
    and for Be Z = 4, and thus E = 16 (-13.65ev) = -218.4 ev

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook