Calculating Black Hole Mass Using Reduced Mass and De Broglie's Wavelength

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Enlighted One
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



You are aboard Spaceship headed toward a planet. The planet utilizes a nearby compact gamma ray emitting black hole as a power and transportation source. You have been approaching Congress for a couple of weeks and obtained the below data.

1. Using the below data find the mass of the Blackhole. In order to answer this question, you will need to study the concept of “Reduced Mass”.

Black hole:http://www.geocities.com/dd40001/rap1.jpg
Planet:http://www.geocities.com/dd40001/rap2.jpg


Homework Equations


As far as a I know the only one is the reduced mass one, and possibly the one from de Brogeli one relating to wavelength


The Attempt at a Solution


I am having trouble even getting off the ground for this problem, if anyone can just help me see the relevant way to get started I would greatly appreciate it.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Welcome, O Enlighted One! :smile:
Enlighted One said:

Homework Equations


As far as a I know the only one is the reduced mass one, and possibly the one from de Brogeli one relating to wavelength

erm :redface: … enlighten us …

what are those equations? :wink:​
 
Reduced mass: [tex]m_\text{red} = \mu = \cfrac{1}{\cfrac{1}{m_1}+\cfrac{1}{m_2}} = \cfrac{m_1 m_2}{m_1 + m_2},\!\,[/tex]

De Broglie's wavelength:[tex]\lambda = \frac{h}{p}[/tex]

I don't see how to relate the data given to mass tough.