1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating change in energy of a particle

1. Jun 19, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An electron moves from an initial location between parallel plates where the electric potential is Vi = 30 V and Vf = 150 V

a) Determine the change in the electrons potential energy

2. Equations
    J/C = V = N/C * m

3. The attempt at a solution
    a) The electron is naturally moving to a location of higher energy, therefore its potential energy decreases as its kinetic energy increases.

Potential energy change = Ep2 - Ep1 = Vfq - Viq = q(Vf-Vi) = q(120 V) = -1.92 * 10^-17 J.

The sign makes sense to me, since the electron has more potential energy at Vi than Vf.

However, the book says the answer is +1.92*10^-17 J. Can someone help me out with why I am is wrong? Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2013 #2
    Well your book looks like its wrong. Your qualitative reasoning seems correct to me.

4. Jun 19, 2013 #3

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Are you sure they didn't ask for the change in kinetic energy? Because otherwise I have to agree with your answer as being negative.

5. Jun 19, 2013 #4
    Yes I'm sure they asked for potential energy. I guess the book is wrong. Thanks for confirming this.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted