1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating change in Magnetic Dipole Moment

1. Aug 11, 2014 #1
    In one moment in time you have a charge going about in a circle of radius r. in another moment in time the charge goes in the same circle but faster, where Δv is the difference in speed. i want to find the change in the magnetic dipole moment Δm.

if magnetic dipole moment m=IA (assuming uniform I), how do you go from

$$m=IA .....to.... Δm=\frac{1}{2}qΔvr ?$$

Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2014 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

well, what's the current as a function of speed v?

4. Aug 12, 2014 #3
    I(v)=[itex]\lambda[/itex]v

5. Aug 12, 2014 #4

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The problem says "a charge" so I would assume a single charge q rather than a charge distribution λ, so say the charge goes around N times/s, which is 2πRN m in 1 s, which says velocity v = 2πRN, which says the current is how much?

6. Aug 12, 2014 #5
    oh.... got it now! thanks!

but another question: i can't say this for a single atom since current exists only on the outside, but for the case of a solid, wouldn't "IA" be more of a flux than a moment? and even for the case of a single atom, i thought moments were supposed to be some quantity times a distance, not an area.

7. Aug 12, 2014 #6

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Not sure I know what you mean by invoking atoms and solids, but the main point of the magnetic moment μ = IA is that, in a B field, there is a moment (torque) τ applied to the coil or whatever medium carrying the current such that τ = μ x B.

You can easily show the validity of this formula by considering the torques on a rectangle of wire, sides 2a and 2b, carrying current I in a field B parallel to any side. For other shapes, integration would be necessary.

Magnetic moments are especially handy in describing permanent magnets. A p.m. with mag. moment μ will see a torque as per the above. So μ can be measured by pointng the p.m. at right angles to the B field and recording the torque. The A vector points from the S to the N pole. I offhand don't know another way to quantify permanent magnets.

Take a look at http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/magnetic/magmom.html

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_moment

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted