Calculating Charge, Current, and EMF in a Reversing Magnetic Field"

  • Thread starter Thread starter Seiya
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Emf Motional emf
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
Seiya
Messages
43
Reaction score
1
Hey lads, if anyone can, please check If I am correct... Thanks :)

A 100 turn circular coil has a diameter of 2 cm and a resistance of 50 Ohms. The plane of the coil is perpendicular to a uniform magnetic field of magnitude 1 T. The direction of the field is suddenly reversed.

(a) Find the total charge that passes through the coil. If the reversal takes 0.1 s, find
(b) the average current in the coil and
(c) the average emf in the coil


So I got...

I= dq/dt

Е=-dф/dt

Edt/R=dQ

Integral of dQ = Q = -1/R (int from ф0 to фf) dф

= -1/R(фf-ф0) = -(delta)ф/R

ф0 (field goes inside, n vector goes inside) = NBAcos() = +NBA
фf (field goes outside, n vector goes inside) = NBAcos() = -NBA

So Q = - (-NBA-(NBA))/R = 2NBA/R = .001256C

(b) I = dQ/dt and dt= .1s
= .01256A (since dQ = Q because Q0= 0 )

(c) E=IR = 0.626V

Am I correct? If not can you please point out any mistakes I have made... thanks i very much appreciate it =)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Seiya said:
Hey lads, if anyone can, please check If I am correct... Thanks :)

A 100 turn circular coil has a diameter of 2 cm and a resistance of 50 Ohms. The plane of the coil is perpendicular to a uniform magnetic field of magnitude 1 T. The direction of the field is suddenly reversed.

(a) Find the total charge that passes through the coil. If the reversal takes 0.1 s, find
(b) the average current in the coil and
(c) the average emf in the coil


So I got...

I= dq/dt

Е=-dф/dt

Edt/R=dQ

Integral of dQ = Q = -1/R (int from ф0 to фf) dф

= -1/R(фf-ф0) = -(delta)ф/R

ф0 (field goes inside, n vector goes inside) = NBAcos() = +NBA
фf (field goes outside, n vector goes inside) = NBAcos() = -NBA

So Q = - (-NBA-(NBA))/R = 2NBA/R = .001256C

(b) I = dQ/dt and dt= .1s
= .01256A (since dQ = Q because Q0= 0 )

(c) E=IR = 0.626V

Am I correct? If not can you please point out any mistakes I have made... thanks i very much appreciate it =)

This looks completely right to me.